The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #3621
beercity23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

ok, i also found a fan w a heat sink...can i put this whole thing inside the fridge box, or does the heat sink need to be outside, to dissipate the heat?

fan-w-heat-sink.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #3622
beercity23
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewcephus, i was thinking for the light, you would just plug it in to the always on, and have the switch where the door closes, so it pushes it when it closes and pops up when open. It would be separate from everything else. Am i wrong?

Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #3623
brewcephus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercity23 View Post
Brewcephus, i was thinking for the light, you would just plug it in to the always on, and have the switch where the door closes, so it pushes it when it closes and pops up when open. It would be separate from everything else. Am i wrong?
That sounds like it would absolutely work. That's pretty much how a refrigerator light works anyway.

Gave up on bottling, moved on to Kegging.

Currently Kegged as of 6/15/14
Keg 1: Citra IIPA (kicked :( )
Keg 2: Irish ale(funny story, but thats the best name I can give it right now)
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty

"Virtus Junxit mors non separabit"

Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #3624
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Can one of these be used to regulate heat? I have a 275 gallon oil tank I use as a smoker. I have been wanting to automate the temp regulation for awhile I've thinking of using an air mattress pump I have and one of these to turn it on and off as needed to maintain temps?

Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #3625
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Can one of these be used to regulate heat? I have a 275 gallon oil tank I use as a smoker. I have been wanting to automate the temp regulation for awhile I've thinking of using an air mattress pump I have and one of these to turn it on and off as needed to maintain temps?
They can regulate heat, but I think they only operate up to 99C, which is a bit low for most BBQ. You might be able to adjust the probe calibration to cheat the temp up a little, 10C IIRC, but at that point you might start running into issues with the temp rating of the probe.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #3626
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercity23 View Post
These are always dual stage controllers? So there is always a cold and a heat? I just need to keep my freezer at a certain fridge temp. But i would like additional outlets so i can plug in a fan (on all the time)...and i want to plug in a light, with an auto switch, so it only turns on when i open door
anyone can help me ?
This might be off topic for this thread as it doesn't use a external box, but I wired my STC 1000 to take the place of the thermostat in the fridge, so the light still works as normal. All you need to do ( with an old analog refrigerator) is find an "always hot" wire to power the STC 1000, and remove the original thermostat and wire the cold relay contacts in its place. This also requires building in the unit, but it looks better that way.
img_4414-800x533-.jpg   img_4415-533x800-.jpg   img_4416-800x533-.jpg   img_4419-533x800-.jpg   img_4421-427x640-.jpg  

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #3627
bae388
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Did anyone use, or think of using a 3-position rocker switch in order to bypass the temp controller? I have a spare refrigerator that I'd like to use as a fermentation chamber when I'm fermenting, but I'd also like to use it as a regular refrigerator when I'm not. Instead of unplugging things all of the time, I'd like to have the rocker switch power straight to the receptacle in the 1st "on" position, and send power through the temp controller in the 2nd "on" position, while still being able to power everything off in the middle position. I found a 3-position mini rocker switch rated for 15amp/250v. Do you think this would work?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #3628
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like it would, but why? I've used my kegerator to ferment in. I just adjust the temp to my desired and pull the kegs out for a couple days. The temp controller goes back to kegerator temps after I pull the fermenters out. No need to unplug anything and you'll have a more accurate temp control when you're using it as a refrigerator. Even build it straight in to the door if you want.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #3629
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
It sounds like it would, but why? I've used my kegerator to ferment in. I just adjust the temp to my desired and pull the kegs out for a couple days. The temp controller goes back to kegerator temps after I pull the fermenters out. No need to unplug anything and you'll have a more accurate temp control when you're using it as a refrigerator. Even build it straight in to the door if you want.
Yeah, there is no unplugging for me. I just hold settings, then hit the arrows to my desired temp and then hit power. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #3630
bae388
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Yeah, there is no unplugging for me. I just hold settings, then hit the arrows to my desired temp and then hit power. Done.
This is a refrigerator/freezer combo (a regular standup refrigerator). With the temp controller, the freezer would essentially be a waste. So, being able to bypass the temp controller to use the thermostats that are built into the refrigerator would be ideal during times when I'm not fermenting.

Quick Reply