Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #3531
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FWIW, I thought about the indicator lights, but did not put them in my build. I do not miss them at all. I really don't need to see, minute by minute, what is going on in my fermentation chamber. I just look at the temperature display and note that it is in range, and maybe notice if it is in heat or cool mode. These things just work. I am about to build the 7th one for my homebrew club. No complaints so far, and no one has opted for lights. YMMV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #3532
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallwms View Post
FWIW, I thought about the indicator lights, but did not put them in my build. I do not miss them at all. I really don't need to see, minute by minute, what is going on in my fermentation chamber. I just look at the temperature display and note that it is in range, and maybe notice if it is in heat or cool mode. These things just work. I am about to build the 7th one for my homebrew club. No complaints so far, and no one has opted for lights. YMMV.
Understandable. I just wanted a little extra bling factor to my build and felt, why not?! I'm used to a single-stage controller, so wanted to get the most out of this build and it's 100% what I want/need for my ferm chamber. Super stoked to use it this weekend.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #3533
buzzman003
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Can youpost a ppicture with the indicator lights working?

Primary 1: None Primary 2: None Secondary 1: NB Whitehouse Honey Ale Secondary 2: None Draft Keg 1: Boulevard Brewing Tank 7 Draft Keg 2: Belgian Double Draft Keg 3: Chinook IPA Draft Keg 4: Michelob Ultra Bottles: Dunkelwiezen Bottles: Imperial Porter Bottles: Pumpkin Ale (only one left) - To brew: Hefeweizen, AG

Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #3534
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman003 View Post
Can youpost a ppicture with the indicator lights working?

The top one has the red light on for heating and the bottom one is off. It's a little hard to see from the photo but you get the idea.

Also see this thread for much better pics.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #3535
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 130

The insides aren't too pretty, but the thing works great! Basically a similar design to most people's controllers with 2x receptacles each for heating and cooling. Since the cords for my cooling devices take up space below the receptacle, I made the two bottom ones the cooling outlets and the two upper ones the heating outlets.

Also, my ferm chamber is made out of sheets of foam, and i don't want the probe's wire to go through the door, so I made a disconnect on the box out of an RJ12 voice jack. I crimped an RJ12 voice plug onto the probe as well. I've also put a short jumper through my ferm chamber's wall with jacks on either side. I can now plug my probe directly into my controller box, or plug the jumper into the box and have the probe connected to the jumper inside my ferm chamber.

I'm very happy with this build and would like to thank the OP again for making it super easy to make. I'd also like to thank pabloj13, reynolds5520, mrklueber for the help with wiring the LEDs.

tc07.jpg   tc12.jpg   tc06.jpg   tc08.jpg  
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze
People Like This 
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #3536
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Nice looking job. I'm sure that you will get lots of use out of it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #3537
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After waiting for delivery for a month only to find I ordered the wrong part (220 vs 110) I finally have the right part and wired it all up tonight. I am excited to have temperature controll. Looking forward to my next brew to see how much it helps.

Keg #1 Chocolate Coconut Stout
Keg #2 Orange Honey Hefe
Keg #3 Dead Guy Ale

Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #3538
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Just finished my build, thanks to all the tips and knowledge on this thread! Finally got my fridge under control!

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #3539
MMBB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I built mine this AM and hooked the freezer up to it. However, it is cycling pretty often. My guess is that the keg of warm beer I just put in along with the warm 10lb co2 tank are getting it pretty warm in there. I have it set for 1 degree difference, 5min delay, 4.4 degrees C. I am considering increasing the delay and temperature difference until the keg/tank start to cool down. After that I assume it is smooth sailing.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #3540
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBB View Post
I built mine this AM and hooked the freezer up to it. However, it is cycling pretty often. My guess is that the keg of warm beer I just put in along with the warm 10lb co2 tank are getting it pretty warm in there. I have it set for 1 degree difference, 5min delay, 4.4 degrees C. I am considering increasing the delay and temperature difference until the keg/tank start to cool down. After that I assume it is smooth sailing.
Where is the probe?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply