Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #3391
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Right, I am not advocating a switched fan. My outlet is not really nearby and my spliced phone charger cord is pretty short, so I wired it this way. It works great and leaves the possibility of converting this into a two stage controller by wiring in 5 and 6 in the future if I need another fermentation controller. I don't see what is impractical about this at all.
I didn't say there were no situations that might have a cooling and always on outlet as a solution, just that the standard config is more versatile, especially without having to rewire anything to gain full use of it. The config with an added duplex outlet would also solve your problem, as would an extension cord.

Quote:
And in the future, couldn't you just ask for clarification instead of being snarky? We're all trying to help answer questions here. No need for that crap.
Right, but your response gave instructions on how to do exactly the opposite of what he wanted (even though it is a better solution), and I am the one who needs clarification?

Perhaps we can all read the questions of those we are trying to help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #3392
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
I didn't say there were no situations that might have a cooling and always on outlet as a solution, just that the standard config is more versatile, especially without having to rewire anything to gain full use of it. The config with an added duplex outlet would also solve your problem, as would an extension cord.

Right, but your response gave instructions on how to do exactly the opposite of what he wanted (even though it is a better solution), and I am the one who needs clarification?

Perhaps we can all read the questions of those we are trying to help.
<Yawn> Ok, I missed one part of their post. Instead of asking for clarification, you snarked it up. It's not necessary. But whatever, dude. Carry on.

Anyway, it's best to keep the fan running all the time for the reasons mentioned above. You can either wire it into the same duplex (as I did) or into another duplex, or use an extension cord. Personal preference. But yes, just leave 5&6 open. Wired like mine, if you decided to switch it in the future you would only have to add one wire, which is why I chose to do it that way.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #3393
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
That snark seems unnecessary. It's confusing as to why you would have a plug always hot to constantly run a fan when you are yourself advocating running a fan the whole time? I don't think it's confusing to just skip wiring 5&6 and just run a hot right into one of the two plugs in the outlet. Then that plug will always be on instead of being switched.

Thanks a ton for the drawing. Its worth a thousand words. I think part of the confusion is using the word hot to describe the wiring when it is powering a temperature controller. It is the black wire however, eh?

Black is hot, white is neutral and green is ground. <= from google

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3394
bradfordmonk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I made mine last month...using it for first time, works great.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #3395
ajeismont
Recipes 

Hey guys. So I read through the first 50 pages as well as the last 10. I have a question about a non-STC-1000. Here's the link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-Digital...50697478631%26

About 5 pages ago, someone posted a link, and was told that it only did heating (or cooling...can't remember exactly) but not both, as well as the fact that it was only 5A.

This one does say "heating and cooling control", but I don't see anything about the amperage.

I'm doubting that it will work, but hopeful being that it's only $13.50. Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #3396
bradfordmonk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeismont View Post
Hey guys. So I read through the first 50 pages as well as the last 10. I have a question about a non-STC-1000. Here's the link on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-Digital...50697478631%26

About 5 pages ago, someone posted a link, and was told that it only did heating (or cooling...can't remember exactly) but not both, as well as the fact that it was only 5A.

This one does say "heating and cooling control", but I don't see anything about the amperage.

I'm doubting that it will work, but hopeful being that it's only $13.50. Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
I'm not too sure, but the STC-1000 works great and is really not that much more ~10$.

I did find this on the forums here as well and this seems to indicate it's only 1-stage, meaning it will only do one or the other not both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/willhi-wiring-341629/

Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #3397
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3227 Times on 3128 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:

That's a single stage unit, meaning that you need to switch between heating mode and cooling mode manually, and it won't control both at the same time. There is some debate about how much it's rated for, but the relay is the same 15amp one found in the dual stage stc-1000. If you want to be able to control heating and cooling at the same time, look for a "dual stage" unit.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #3398
ajeismont
Recipes 

Thanks for the insight guys. For a few extra bucks, I guess I'll just play it safe and get the STC-1000.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #3399
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Thanks for the insight guys. For a few extra bucks, I guess I'll just play it safe and get the STC-1000.

I zoomed in on the picture and it does say 5 amps

Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #3400
Lumpyyyyy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Is the stc probe waterproof?

Quick Reply