New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #3351
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Oh my gosh... Enough with the single stage theology debate already...

socalboomer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #3352
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
No telling how the programming is done. Just because the display is in F or C that doesnt mean anything. The smart way to do the programming is to do the math at higher precision and truncate/round to the display at the last minute.
It seems pretty obvious there is no programming regarding the jitter. A single blip of the display also triggers ASD. The higher precision, at least in the code, is exactly what I proposed for a real fix. The dirty workaround would be to increase min diff to prevent false ASD triggering, or relay chatter if ASD is not enabled. 2F temp tolerance doesn't look good on a spec sheet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
It would honestly be pretty silly to do the thermostat math in F or C, but who knows.
Have you ever worked with Chinese engineers? It's interesting. American engineers have had their moments too, if you remember that probe that crashed into Mars because of a miles/meters gaff (though I hear it may have been sabotage by a disgruntled employee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
My guess is that the coarse single stage resolution is simply a matter of needing all 3 available digits for the integer value. There's just no way to represent a higher resolution on the display.
I forgot about F needing to go >100 and the 3 digit display, but the math can still be more precise- what do you expect for $15.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3353
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Oh my gosh... Enough with the single stage theology debate already...
Nobody likes to deal with engineers, until they need something fixed. Kind of like attitudes towards lawyers, until you need one. The difference is the lawyers usually created the legal problem you need fixed.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #3354
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
Nobody likes to deal with engineers, until they need something fixed. Kind of like attitudes towards lawyers, until you need one. The difference is the lawyers usually created the legal problem you need fixed.
I can appreciate what you're saying, though it's irrelevant in this conversation. I mean, it's a thread about a cheap, simple stage on/off controller. There's really no need to overcomplicate things, that can happen in another thread. FWIW, I'm an engineer and most people like dealing with me

I think his point is, he didn't think we need 30 posts about control theory, single stage vs. dual stage, etc. in a thread about building up a cheap temperature controller. And I agree

Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #3355
socalboomer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

as an engineer myself, I agree with Zachattack. . . I started perusing this thread to find information regarding using an inexpensive controller (either dual or single) for a Keezer and then a ferm chamber. . . no need to go all argumentative on us.

On Tap: Chocolate Palomino Chocolate Oatmeal Porter
On Tap: Black Sand Foreign Extra Stout
On Tap: Gold Dust Pale
In Secondary: Gold Dust Pale (bottles conditioning)
In Secondary:
In Primary: O'Rally Red Amber
Next up: not sure yet

Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #3356
JuanMoore
SACD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3182 Times on 3090 Posts
Likes Given: 18

So zachattack and socalboomer don't want to make this a significantly more complicated issue than it needs to be? I'm not sure I believe that you two are engineers.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
socalboomer Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #3357
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Militant engineering... God Help Us All!

I'm not an engineer, but work in design and have a natural leaning toward the technical aspect of life. I just think that discussion belongs in it's own thread... Possibly a thread named: "How to take a cheap-A$$ Chinese micro-controller meant for fish and completely over-engineer the hell out of it while simultaneously completely changing the design intent of said micro-controller... all while beating my own opinion into the heads of those who disagree with my perfect engineering skills..."

Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #3358
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
So zachattack and socalboomer don't want to make this a significantly more complicated issue than it needs to be? I'm not sure I believe that you two are engineers.
hahaha valid point.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3359
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
There's really no need to overcomplicate things, that can happen in another thread.
Like one for the people asking about the single stage version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalboomer View Post
I think his point is, he didn't think we need 30 posts about control theory, single stage vs. dual stage, etc. in a thread about building up a cheap temperature controller. And I agree
I completely agree, this thread should remain purely about the OPs original topic. Although, relatively speaking, 30 off topic posts is < 1% of the total. Come on, this thread only stays alive with the occasional post from someone saying they didn't bother to read every post, but could someone please give me a wiring diagram. Apparently, they don't read past the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalboomer View Post
as an engineer myself, I agree with Zachattack. . . I started perusing this thread to find information regarding using an inexpensive controller (either dual or single) for a Keezer and then a ferm chamber. . . no need to go all argumentative on us.
There is no real need to peruse, or even for any further posts in this thread. The very first one covers the OP's topic completely.

I don't know whether I am more offended that no lawyers took the bait, or that I got attacked by my own tribe. Entertainment value was about the same, which was my goal anyway.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #3360
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Militant engineering... God Help Us All!

I'm not an engineer, but work in design and have a natural leaning toward the technical aspect of life. I just think that discussion belongs in it's own thread... Possibly a thread named: "How to take a cheap-A$$ Chinese micro-controller meant for fish and completely over-engineer the hell out of it while simultaneously completely changing the design intent of said micro-controller... all while beating my own opinion into the heads of those who disagree with my perfect engineering skills..."

+1

Lets make some beer.

Quick Reply