New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #3221
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii
The lamps are in parallel with the receptacles in that diagram. As it should be.
I couldn't remember how it should be. Parallel would show command. Series would show response. It was the current capacity of the bulb that had me wondering.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #3222
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'm using 14 g wire on mine; how do you install a fuse on the power in (black) wire, according to your diagram? Is it necessary? I'm using a power strip with a surge protector, but would rather use a fuse if I can.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #3223
EdgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

I couldn't remember how it should be. Parallel would show command. Series would show response. It was the current capacity of the bulb that had me wondering.
Parallel. Wire it in parallel. Otherwise it's all a bit wrong. You'll end up with a voltage divider (not the full voltage over you light or heater). Eg with 110v, if you had two lights in series the will be running at 55v.

You are correct though in that series will indicate response (being not an open circuit)

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #3224
thenewbrewer
Recipes 

hi guys im really stuck..

i searched all day today at our hardware store here in australia and i could only find a power point with 2 on/off switches and 2 power outlets they didnt sell the ones like you guys have with just the 2 power outlets without the on/off switches..

i noticed on the back of my powerpoint there is only 3 holes for wires, ground, positive and neutral.. in the original diagram that android has posted he has several wires going into his powerpoint are they just numerous wires going into the one hole?? i dont think im able to use it as my power point is different.. also i looked every where for 15amp rating power chords and the highest was 10amp exact same with the power points, all were 10amp. am i going to be ok with just 10amp stuff? i read all the packets on the extension cords as well and they said 10amp also.. i spent quite a while just looking at things..

basicly heres the powerpoint i bought.

if i can use the 10amp stuff could i ask a massive favour?
can someone please take the time to finish my dodgy wiring drawing please?? it would be muchly appreciated and id owe you one.. id just like a safe operating temp controller without burning my house down lol

i dont mind going on a bit more of a hunt to find a 15amp powerpoint and cable but the powerpoint will still be the same on the back as the one in the photo of the above..

thanks in advance guys

i can do this wiring if i use the end of a few extension leads.. but i thought it would be quite nice to use the powerpoint instead it looks alot more professional haha

Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #3225
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You will probably have to purchase another one of those power points. One each will be controlled by the 2 stage controller.

Could you post a picture of your Australian wall receptacles? That is all we are using here in the US is the standard wall receptacle. However, you guys all use 240V over there and these are only rated to 120V.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #3226
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I ordered (2) more of these STC-1000's today! I am going to independently control 2 of 3 fermentation vessels in my chest chamber with them. They will only use the heating function and will power 4' each of 11" wide reptile heat tape. The fermentation vessel not heated by heat tape will be controlled by the "master" controller. (I already have that one)...

Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #3227
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
I ordered (2) more of these STC-1000's today! I am going to independently control 2 of 3 fermentation vessels in my chest chamber with them. They will only use the heating function and will power 4' each of 11" wide reptile heat tape. The fermentation vessel not heated by heat tape will be controlled by the "master" controller. (I already have that one)...
That sounds like a sweet idea.. Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya

Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #3228
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
That sounds like a sweet idea.. Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya
Yeah, I will be pumping directly into a sanitized fermentor. I will rack with a few PSI of CO2. Here is a picture of my arrangment...

Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #3229
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksha808 View Post
I just finished 2 out of the three temp controllers I am needing for the builds I'll be doing. I am having an issue with one of them, the cooling side of the outlet I have wired up isn't providing any sort of power, the heating side does though... but i am hearing the audible click of it swapping from heat-cool-heat, but it isn't providing power. Could there be something wrong with the outlet? or the actual controller?
I had one do the same thing. It was new out of the box, I could hear the click but the swich never closed. I emailed the seller in Hong Kong describing the problem, and they sent a replacement unit. Of course it took a couple weeks, but they made good. I inquired about returning the faulty unit and they told me to keep it. Wasn't worth the shipping I guess. So now I have an extra temperature sensor with heat capability. I use it to run a fan to equalize the temperature on my side by side kegerator as the former freezer side tends to be about 5 degrees cooler than the fridge side.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #3230
thenewbrewer
Recipes 

that is the standard powerpoint mate, i ordered a 240v stc1000 as well..

its ok ill just have to buy another one to wire it in.. for the time being im going to make one with just extension cords.. thanks fellas

Quick Reply