The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #3181
toddzio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using STC-1000 to run a pump?/Is this a workable plan?

This thread is so informative thanks!
My STC-1000 is on a slow boat from China as we speak. I want to ask has anyone used one to control a water pump?

I ask because SWMBO won't allow me another fridge for Beer, apparently one chest freezer for beer purposes is enough... I don't get it but she makes the rules.
So my plan is to make a fermentation chamber out of insulation and plywood, put an ice chest on top, put a pump in that hooked up to the STC-1000 and use frozen milk jugs full of water to cool water pumped into the fermentation chamber.
I plan on putting a coil of copper tube inside a 3" pvc pipe with a computer fan circulating air through the tube as a heat exchanger inside the chamber.

Does this seem like a workable plan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #3182
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzio View Post
My STC-1000 is on a slow boat from China as we speak. I want to ask has anyone used one to control a water pump?

I ask because SWMBO won't allow me another fridge for Beer, apparently one chest freezer for beer purposes is enough... I don't get it but she makes the rules.
So my plan is to make a fermentation chamber out of insulation and plywood, put an ice chest on top, put a pump in that hooked up to the STC-1000 and use frozen milk jugs full of water to cool water pumped into the fermentation chamber.
I plan on putting a coil of copper tube inside a 3" pvc pipe with a computer fan circulating air through the tube as a heat exchanger inside the chamber.

Seems like it would work to me.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #3183
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzio View Post

I use it to control water pump, works great but my design is little different, you can find more detail in my thread here (go to post 18 for summary):
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/offi...ontrol-289108/
Its walk away system, just punch desire temp in stc and it will keep set up temp between 55 and 90F, i could probably insulate box and get it in to high 40 for lagers, o and i sold the idea of having water cooler in the house to my
wife by making it actually usable for original purpose (you know drinking water)

Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #3184
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin
Just got my STC-1000 today and am a electrical wiring moron . Please advise.

I've looked at the diagram on the back of the unit and it suggests that I could simply .......

1) Wire the mains input into 1 and 2.

2) Probe wires obviously go to 3 and 4.

3) Connect my 100 watt heating lamp directly into 5 and 6

4) Connect the power to freezer power directly into 7 and 8.

5) Turn my freezer thermostat onto MAX.

Is this method correct ? Or am I missing something ??

Any advice much appreciated.
I like the diagram and video here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-...estion-362214/

I'm a complete noob to wiring and that worked perfectly for me. Currently holding temps for a little starter batch and tomorrow it gets 5 gal of holiday ale...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #3185
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzio

That sounds good to me. The other option would be having the carboy in a water bath and having the copper coil in there. I was actually thinking about doing that with glycol and my kegerator freezer before I snagged some minifridges.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #3186
ianoconnor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Just finished wiring mine tonight, and it is working correctly! This was my first foray into electrical wiring, so I'm pretty pleased with myself, haha.

Thanks everyone for such a great thread.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #3187
fergusmj
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just got mine completed last week. Pretty easy to do. 1 hot, 1 cold outlet. The Cord is going out the back so I can sit it flat on top of the mini-fridge I'm going to use for my fermentation chamber.

The digital display is not that crooked...but the picture makes it look like it is.

ebay-temp-controller.jpg  

Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #3188
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So many pages! Do I want the 110 or 220?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #3189
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
So many pages! Do I want the 110 or 220?
If your in the us 110

Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #3190
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake

If your in the us 110
Excellent, thanks