The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #3061
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwooten
Anyone know if the STC-1000 will push enough amps to start up a Holiday 7cu chest freezer set up in my garage?

Here are some specs from the back of the freezer:
Voltage: 115v~60Hz
Amps:1.70A
Startup Amps: 12A
It should... Some users have reported that the relays are good up to 15A@120VAC. Worst case scenario has you adding a single SSR for just a few more dollars. Wiring that is similar but easier than the STC-1000 project if it comes down to it.

Here is a photo from another thread.
image-368554480.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #3062
fwooten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
It should... Some users have reported that the relays are good up to 15A@120VAC. Worst case scenario has you adding a single SSR for just a few more dollars. Wiring that is similar but easier than the STC-1000 project if it comes down to it.

Here is a photo from another thread.
Whats that other thread?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #3063
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwooten

Whats that other thread?
There are a few now.

I think this is the original. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-parts-261506/

And here is another.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/stc-1000-wiring-333680/

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #3064
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
Sure, there are always better ways to do something, but for $13 the heater is doing just fine.
It was more for the benefit of the greater community. If the finer points aren't included/listed, someone will just go off the picture, and think it is 'the way' to do it with no downsides.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #3065
bluebrew1
Recipes 

Default ?

I just built one it is working great!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #3066
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For heat in my fermentation chamber, I have just been using an old soldering in a holder and a 12V fan. I like having a fan on at all times to keep condensation down and temperatures more stable inside the box.

My STC-1000 and my single stage controller were ordered over a month ago. PayPal / eBay managed somehow to send them both (ordered within 5 minutes of each other) to an eleven year old address. The boxes were refused, one going back to Hong Kong, one re-delivered to the wrong address. That is the STC-1000 and it made it to me. The owner of the house it was delivered to knows who I am. One of the club members works for him, and he knows that, too. After the club member asked about the mis-delivered / refused items, they somehow managed to get the re-delivered one to him. It took them no effort whatsoever. Between stupid people and incompetent eBay, this has been a real mess.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #3067
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallwms View Post
For heat in my fermentation chamber, I have just been using an old soldering in a holder and a 12V fan. I like having a fan on at all times to keep condensation down and temperatures more stable inside the box.

My STC-1000 and my single stage controller were ordered over a month ago. PayPal / eBay managed somehow to send them both (ordered within 5 minutes of each other) to an eleven year old address. The boxes were refused, one going back to Hong Kong, one re-delivered to the wrong address. That is the STC-1000 and it made it to me. The owner of the house it was delivered to knows who I am. One of the club members works for him, and he knows that, too. After the club member asked about the mis-delivered / refused items, they somehow managed to get the re-delivered one to him. It took them no effort whatsoever. Between stupid people and incompetent eBay, this has been a real mess.
Thanks. This is just what I need to hear. Ive got a STC 1000 enroute form Hong Kong and I've been three weeks waiting. Should have bought in-country.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #3068
sinisterkid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use an tin coffee can and a small aluminum shop light with a 60 watt bulb for my heat, works great

forumrunner_20120922_152011.jpg  

Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #3069
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The STC-1000 was ordered from MixTea and was shipped quickly, given a tracking number which worked fine, and delivery was attempted but initially refused. It was not a problem on the seller's end, strictly an eBay / PayPal problem. They provided the seller with an address that I haven't used in over 11 years. And I have received items via eBay from sellers in China at my current address in the past. eBay really messed up. I do recommend MixTea.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #3070
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Not to sound like a jerk, but when you pay w/ Paypal it clearly shows you the shipping address and allows you to change it. You can't blame e-bay or Paypal if you didn't enter the newest one. I've done that by accident in the past, I only blame myself. It's not like they'd pull some ancient address out of their system and slap it on the order for no reason, the seller sees what you sent via Paypal and nothing else. Ebay may have its fair share of problems, and I know there are plenty of reasons to hate Paypal, but this isn't one of them.

Quick Reply