*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #3031
Fordzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Open the case on your unit (after unplugging it). Check the relays. They may be different than 10A. Mine are 15A. That said, a small space heater can be had for very cheap at walmart/target/big lots/kmart/etc.
Bingo! These are actually 15 Amp @ 125 VAC relays. Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #3032
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Bingo! These are actually 15 Amp @ 125 VAC relays. Thanks for your help!
My pleasure but I would worry about a hair dryer overheating. A small space heater may work better. Or even just a light bulb.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #3033
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
My pleasure but I would worry about a hair dryer overheating. A small space heater may work better. Or even just a light bulb.
Well I'm certainly open to consider other options if they're effective.

One reason behind selecting a hair dryer is that it heats up fast, thus it won't have to stay on long.

My other reason is that the fan is built right in to it. I'm going to have computer fans run while the Cold is active, the hairdryer would prevent me from needing separate fans (and a separate power supply) when the Hot is active.

I don't really like the idea of a space heater because they're on the larger side. I've considered light bulb/heat bulb and those lizard heat ropes, but that causes problems for my planned fan system. I have an old computer power supply I'm going to use to power my fans when cold is active. If I had a heat source without it's own fan, then I'd need to run the fans when hot is active too, which I believe I can't do unless I plug those into my always-on outlet.

Perhaps I am just over-engineering this thing. I could plug the fans into the Cold outlet in summer, and the Hot outlet in winter. This would allow me to use a simpler heat source.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #3034
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What is the drawback to running the fan at all times? I have a 12v computer fan wired into an old 9 volt cordless phone power supply. Works great for me.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #3035
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Just trying to avoid the constant power consumption, though it should be relatively small. I'm also planning to wire up 4 fans total. 2 for circulation inside the chamber, and 2 to move air across the condenser coils for my refrigeration unit. What I would really like is a way to run all fans when Cold OR Hot are running. I don't believe that is possible though.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #3036
IFMracin
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wire up an additional outlet that is not wired through the controller.
Since my fridge will be indoors I won't need heat, so I have one outlet wired hot, and the other switched with the controller for refrigeration control.
Same could be done using an additional outlet if you want to have constant on + cool + heat.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3037
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I second the small space heater idea. I use one. It's small. It has a flat bottom for it to stand on, unlike a hair dryer. Here it is inside a mini fridge beside a carboy.

image-4252414763.jpg  

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #3038
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I picked up a small lasko heater from Walmart for $13 that I use in my chamber. I actually have it hanging from the ceiling of the chamber just in case there is a blow off or something that would cause a puddle on the floor. This way it's also not aimed directly at any of the carboys which could cause uneven heating.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #3039
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfine View Post
I picked up a small lasko heater from Walmart for $13 that I use in my chamber. I actually have it hanging from the ceiling of the chamber just in case there is a blow off or something that would cause a puddle on the floor. This way it's also not aimed directly at any of the carboys which could cause uneven heating.
Using separate DIY fermwraps and controllers for the least active ferms would keep ferm temps much more stable. There is no way to control more than one fermentation in a single chamber without using this method, or its equivalent. Peak ferm temp is ~10F above ambient. The fan will help reduce that differential some, but even if all but one are in the clean up phase, the temps in those will be dropping, possibly causing the yeast to slow down. Probably not a huge issue if all but one is finished, but a much bigger issue if two are going at once that were pitched a few days apart.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #3040
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi

Using separate DIY fermwraps and controllers for the least active ferms would keep ferm temps much more stable. There is no way to control more than one fermentation in a single chamber without using this method, or its equivalent. Peak ferm temp is ~10F above ambient. The fan will help reduce that differential some, but even if all but one are in the clean up phase, the temps in those will be dropping, possibly causing the yeast to slow down. Probably not a huge issue if all but one is finished, but a much bigger issue if two are going at once that were pitched a few days apart.
I was planning to do something like this but was unsure of its feasibility. My plan was to control the chamber itself (cooling) with a probe on the fermentor that I want to have the lowest temp, and fermwraps on everything else, in order to be able to specifically control different fermentations exactly how I want, in a single chamber. I'm a bit concerned that I might not be able to get a significant difference in temp between the coolest and warmest fermentations though. Thoughts?

Quick Reply