The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #2911
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just got around to taking a few pics of my build. I used the Radio Shack box and mounting everything inside box instead of to the cover. I used black Decora recepticals, easier to machine the openings. I have one each for the heat & cool side and one pass through on the bottom. The indicator lights let me see from a distance what mode it's in, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't bother. Of course I had to engrave the nomenclature, one day I might fill it with white paint.

\

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2912
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

very clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #2913
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Last day of the sale - mixtea (I believe a recommended seller here on this thread) has these going for $21.59 w/ free shipping.

I purchased two more of these for two ferm chambers I'm putting together. Already bought my keezer one from mixtea and it arrived in about 2 weeks to Seattle area.

Here

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #2914
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I wanted to let you guys know of a great product I came across. (I have no affiliation with this company by the way...)
Over at StainlessBrewing.com he is selling these 1/2"OD thermowells. I have had mine just over a week. It is already on it's second fermentation. Here is a picture of mine the day I got it in the mail.

Here is a good picture from this morning showing that the carboy cap seals up NICELY. This was quite active and blew off quite a bit. No krausen came out of the carboy cap around the thermowell.

The sensor probe on the STC-1000 has PLENTY of room and inserts down the I.D. of the tube with no problem at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #2915
jholen
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I wanted to let you guys know of a great product I came across. (I have no affiliation with this company by the way...)
Over at StainlessBrewing.com he is selling these 1/2"OD thermowells. I have had mine just over a week. It is already on it's second fermentation. Here is a picture of mine the day I got it in the mail.

Here is a good picture from this morning showing that the carboy cap seals up NICELY. This was quite active and blew off quite a bit. No krausen came out of the carboy cap around the thermowell.

The sensor probe on the STC-1000 has PLENTY of room and inserts down the I.D. of the tube with no problem at all.
How did you sense the temp before? Taped to the side of the carboy?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #2916
bryix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Yes, the way the OP wired it works for both hot and cold. The schematic you're after is in the very first post of this thread.

Thanks. I focused my drunken brain and figured it out. At the time, I was paranoid that it might not work properly... And having a slightly clearer diagram would have only helped.

It's currently helping me brew a 10 gallon batch of Ed Wort's hefeweizen. I'm a proud papa.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #2917
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
How did you sense the temp before? Taped to the side of the carboy?
Yes.
-Tape
-Folded kitchen towel
-Sensor
-Glass wall of carboy

Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2918
tre9er
Recipes 

Just read around and it seems that many prefer to try and keep the beer temp in check over ambient. I have my ambient set to 64 right now, US-05 repitch (w/starter) in a session PA. I think the internal ferm temps will still be fine, but next time I will tape it to the side of the FV with insulating material covering it. I may also install a small fan in the FC.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #2919
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

How were you measuring temps before? If you are controlling with an STC-1000 you really don't want that probe in open air. It will cause too frequent cycling because the air cools so much faster than wort.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #2920
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
How were you measuring temps before? If you are controlling with an STC-1000 you really don't want that probe in open air. It will cause too frequent cycling because the air cools so much faster than wort.
In a beer-bottle full of water. It buffers a lot of the temp change but again, it only controls "ambient" as it affects a liquid...but doesn't take into account the exothermic reactions inside the beer that cause the internal temp to rise.

Quote:

Quick Reply