New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #2891
Kingfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Depends on the application. For a ferm chamber you'll probably want the STC-1000 since it's dual stage. For a keezer or brewery control panel they'll both work, but I have a slight preference for the single stage unit since it has a nicer temp probe and more programming options.
And the single stage reads in Fahrenheit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #2892
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
And the single stage reads in Fahrenheit.
Are you finding these on ebay? All the ones I see are in Celsius.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #2893
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgene View Post
Are you finding these on ebay? All the ones I see are in Celsius.
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the display in Celsius. Its easy to convert...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/farenheit-celcius-chart-your-stc-1000-a-342178/

Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #2894
Huaco

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the display in Celsius. Its easy to convert...

1+

I laminated a chart that just sits on top of my Ferm Fridge next to my controller. Easy reference.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #2895
raouliii

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post

For my fermentation chamber, in which I monitor temperatures very closely, I got very tired of having to convert, even with a table next to the controller. I switched over to a single stage, farenheit unit and couldn't be happier. An additional difficulty is that my controller is near the floor and a quick glance with no conversion was just easier. The chamber is already setup with a heat source, so I'll add a cool / heat switch if needed for the winter.

To each his own.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #2896
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii
For my fermentation chamber, in which I monitor temperatures very closely, I got very tired of having to convert, even with a table next to the controller. I switched over to a single stage, farenheit unit and couldn't be happier. An additional difficulty is that my controller is near the floor and a quick glance with no conversion was just easier. The chamber is already setup with a heat source, so I'll add a cool / heat switch if needed for the winter.

To each his own.
For those of us that actually want or need the dual-stage functionality, it's best to just put up with Celsius. If you think you'll NEVER need more than single-stage on any given day with any given style, then more power to you. Some of us prefer to control ferm temps very precisely regardless of circumstances... in just about any environment there is almost definitely a range of ferm temps for which the ambient temp will be both higher AND lower during the course of a day (though not necessarily EVERY day).

But really, it shouldn't take long at all to internalize it and start thinking about ferm temps in terms of °C just as naturally as one currently thinks about it in terms of °F.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #2897
MrMista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hi guys. I have looked through this thread and couldn't find if anyone made detailed instructions and a part list on how to build this thing. I do not have any experience with wiring things, but I want to save some money on a dual temp control so it seems like this is the way to go.

Has anyone made a parts list and detailed build instructions (maybe even with pictures)? I am from the US so I may need to get a special controller, I am not sure would this one work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-STC-1000-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-w-Sensor-/140756919030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5c4 22f6

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #2898
hasmujo
Recipes 

Hi, I wanna ask a question about incubtor to you. I really have a problem with the digital thermostat of WILHI just like you showed. The question is that how can I set the temperature at 37.7, I adjust it between 37-38 but can not 37.7 how can I do it please help me????

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #2899
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasmujo View Post
Hi, I wanna ask a question about incubtor to you. I really have a problem with the digital thermostat of WILHI just like you showed. The question is that how can I set the temperature at 37.7, I adjust it between 37-38 but can not 37.7 how can I do it please help me????
I think you are using the wrong device if you need to be at an EXACT temp. .3° is well within the margin of error for something like this unit. If you need to keep an exact temp you will want to look to something into scientific or medical supply equipment and expect to spend a whole lot more than $20.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #2900
barrooze
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasmujo View Post
Sounds like you're using a unit like mine, a single-stage WILLHI unit. I can only set to whole numbers, not decimals. I don't know if the STC-1000 can set a temp to decimal.

Can you post a picture of your unit? (please don't take that request out of context!)

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Germanic Pale Ale, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown Primary: None Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Texas Brown Ale On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

Quick Reply