Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #2751
BrewBug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I just finished building mine and may have an issue that I hope someone can help on. In regular outlet it powers up just fine and seems to run normal, at least with nothing plugged in as heating or cooling source. My issue is that when I plug the unit into my homes GFCI outlet and turn it on, it immediately trips the GFCI. DO I have something wired wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #2752
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

A tripped ground fault means current is leaking to the ground. Did you accidentally hook the ground up to the neutral? That would make it run, but it would be very dangerous.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #2753
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBug View Post
Well I just finished building mine and may have an issue that I hope someone can help on. In regular outlet it powers up just fine and seems to run normal, at least with nothing plugged in as heating or cooling source. My issue is that when I plug the unit into my homes GFCI outlet and turn it on, it immediately trips the GFCI. DO I have something wired wrong?
A common reason a GFCI will trip but the appliance works fine on a normal outlet is that the neutral is tied into the ground. Where do you have the ground attached that is coming in to your project box? It should be attached to the grounding ear(s) on the receptacle(s) and nowhere else.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #2754
BrewBug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

WOW!! I expected an answer in a couple days not 16 minutes. I went back inside the enclosure and sure enough I mixed two wires. Everything is working great now. THANKS!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #2755
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBug View Post
WOW!! I expected an answer in a couple days not 16 minutes. I went back inside the enclosure and sure enough I mixed two wires. Everything is working great now. THANKS!!!
I love how Kingfish and I posted the exact same thing

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #2756
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I love how Kingfish and I posted the exact same thing
If I hadn't of gotten a phone call while writing my response I would have beaten you...

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #2757
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
The cycling you're experiencing probably isn't frequent enough to burn up the compressor quickly, but I'm confident that it cycles considerably more often than the few times a day mine cycles. By your own admission you had to fiddle with both the probe placement and hysteresis settings to achieve your desired serving temp and compressor cycle rates. If you're happy with how your probe placement performs, that's great, but please stop trying to convince others of it's benefits when there clearly aren't any.
Hi

If you believe that the compressor on a normal cheap / small freezer only cycles once or twice a day that's fine. My observation of brand new freezers does not match yours. For a very large freezer or a cold environment anything is possible. The published data from the manufacturer also does not back up the few cycles a day observation.

Bob

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #2758
dec
Recipes 

Have a few questions regarding the diagram and pics in the OP. The diagram shows the probe connected to 1,5,6,7 with one wire and to the hot side of one of the sockets with the other wire. But the first picture appears that it's connected to 3 & 4 of the temp controller. There is also some green wire in the diagram that appears to be connected to the hot second socket and the probe but I don't see those wires at all in the pictures or how you'd connect that third wire to the probe.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #2759
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec View Post
Have a few questions regarding the diagram and pics in the OP. The diagram shows the probe connected to 1,5,6,7 with one wire and to the hot side of one of the sockets with the other wire. But the first picture appears that it's connected to 3 & 4 of the temp controller. There is also some green wire in the diagram that appears to be connected to the hot second socket and the probe but I don't see those wires at all in the pictures or how you'd connect that third wire to the probe.
The object on the upper right of the OP's diagram is the power cord plug, not the probe. Where the lines cross on the diagram, there is NO connection unless it has a big dot. The probe is not shown on the diagram and is connected to 3&4.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #2760
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

If you believe that the compressor on a normal cheap / small freezer only cycles once or twice a day that's fine. My observation of brand new freezers does not match yours. For a very large freezer or a cold environment anything is possible. The published data from the manufacturer also does not back up the few cycles a day observation.

Bob
Interesting. I wasn't aware that any manufacturers were publishing data on compressor cycling when using an auxiliary temperature controller with the sensor placed on an almost ideal 20Kg thermal mass, in a freezer that likely has several other similar vessels acting as, to use a fancy term like you are fond of doing, defluctuators.

You really should wait until you actually own the controller discussed in this thread, not the 220V you ordered after all of your equally deep analysis of the seller had you convinced it would be a 110V model.

You do not have this thought out properly, and seem to be very closed minded to any methods that differ from your own. There are people here that are equally (or more) intelligent, educated, experienced, knowledgeable, etc. as you. You might try considering the opinions offered up here, even though they might conflict with your ill conceived ideas.

Quick Reply