The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #2641
brewmaster89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog

who did you order yours from? I got mine in about 8 days and I am just up the 101 from you in Ventura.
Some place on eBay. I don't remember the name of the seller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2642
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Placed my ebay order yesterday... Thinking about running with two receptacles... I want to run a small fan to keep stratification at bay...

Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #2643
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Mine came in the mail yesterday (USPS), ordered May 2nd. Less than 2 weeks.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #2644
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Guys!
I believe that I might a need a little help with mine. I built one of these about 3 or 4 weeks ago. A few days ago I put a half cup of water in my little beer fridge (wife doesn't like me keeping all my beer in our kitchen fridge). Anyway, I let it sit there so that there would be a steady temperature and wanted to test how accurate this thing is before i buy my chest freezer for fermenting this weekend. This morning, i put the sensor wire in the water, then put a digital thermometer i brew with in the water. Left for work! Got home and decided it was time to check it and i was shocked to see that the two were about 25 degrees different from each other. I figured that this couldn't be right, so i filled the cup up full, and let it sit for about an hour. (cooking thermometer sensor is a little longer)

First picture shows the difference in the temps. (yes my fridge is a little cooler that this, but this is after i filled the cup all the way)

The second picture is the back of my temp controller. I followed android's wiring that can be found on the first page. The only thing i can think of is the 3 / 4 slots on the controller which is my question. What does it actually mean on the 4th one with the special symbol? If i look at the sensor wire, there is one with writing and there is one without writing. The one with writing is going to the 3 slot. Is this correct?

If it is, this worries me because that means it is very possible my cooking thermometer is off and that sucks because i just used it to brew a few weeks ago

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

img_0209.jpg   img_0207.jpg  

Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #2645
cranium213
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually the STC-1000 displays temperature in celcius so 7.2 Celsius is actually 45 degrees Fahrenheit, so your difference is about 12 degrees. I would recommend doing this test in a glass of ice water to verify which is actually closer, and if you find the STC-1000 is in fact off by 12 degrees you can set that in the variance (I think it's the F3 function when you're in the settings menu...hold down the 'S' button for 3 seconds to bring that up).

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #2646
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranium213 View Post
Actually the STC-1000 displays temperature in celcius so 7.2 Celsius is actually 45 degrees Fahrenheit, so your difference is about 12 degrees. I would recommend doing this test in a glass of ice water to verify which is actually closer, and if you find the STC-1000 is in fact off by 12 degrees you can set that in the variance (I think it's the F3 function when you're in the settings menu...hold down the 'S' button for 3 seconds to bring that up).
Thanks Cranium and i will try the ice water. Yes i know that now it is 12 degrees off, but i didnt let them sit there as long as i did today when i took the picture. Right now its showing about a 14 degree difference. Seems like the longer it sits, the more difference I see. I'll try the ice water method soon! Thanks again.

P.S. I knew that one read in C and the other in F, but I made the assumption that you guys would know that lol

Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #2647
seanoj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would get an old school analog thermometer to check the temp of the water. I have had very bad errors from those cooking thermometers, especially under 150 degrees F.

Other things to think about for the future:
1) Your photo appears to show the fridge not plugged into the controller.
2) Is the controller showing the temp or the target?
3) Is your fridge able to get the temp down to your desired temp. You may need to disable the internal thermostat to get it down to tems lower than 45deg.

-Sean

Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #2648
DrewBrew08
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoj View Post
I would get an old school analog thermometer to check the temp of the water. I have had very bad errors from those cooking thermometers, especially under 150 degrees F.

Other things to think about for the future:
1) Your photo appears to show the fridge not plugged into the controller.
2) Is the controller showing the temp or the target?
3) Is your fridge able to get the temp down to your desired temp. You may need to disable the internal thermostat to get it down to tems lower than 45deg.

-Sean
Hey Sean,

This is just a fridge i keep in the guest bedroom and stock with beer. I won't be using this particular one for fermenting. I just want to test out how accurate the temp sensor is. The temp on the controller in the picture is the temp of the cup of water that is inside the fridge.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #2649
Czm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

On the sensor does it matter what lead goes into the controller? I haven't powered on yet but was wondering on pin 3 and 4. Currently the side that has lettering on the shielding is on 4...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #2650
onthedot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quick Reply