Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #2181
cwi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonabb View Post
Submerging it in the wort is out of the question IMO.
Not sure what your reasoning is for ruling out a thermowell, but it is a correct assumption that it is not the best method. The effect of ambient air influencing the probe slightly through the insulation provides some overshoot compensation and reduction in radial stratification. The results from some tests regarding this were posted in this thread, or maybe it was a different one, but definitely on HBT. To use a thermowell in the fermenter, placing it close to the wall provided the best temp control. The effect is most pronounced post-active ferm when there are no thermal currents from the active yeast.

Don't fear over-insulating it. I have found it takes much more insulation than I thought, even after taping the crap out of it to make it airtight, to prevent the ambient from influencing the probe. Also, as was born out by the testing, that is a good thing.

FYI, thermowells are perfectly safe, as long as they are constructed and mounted properly. They can be used as a secondary measurement point for verification/logging/sanity check.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #2182
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1087 View Post
I bought one of these about 100 pages ago and just love it. I just ordered another one for a second fermentation fridge build. Found this one from a U.S. seller for $19.88 shipped, so I thought that I would share.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
The link takes you to a controller that is listed at $199.88. Don't buy that one! lol

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #2183
jar1087
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
The link takes you to a controller that is listed at $199.88. Don't buy that one! lol
Yeah, I don't know what that seller is doing. It was definitely only $19.88 when I first ordered it, as confirmed by eBay, Paypal, and my credit card. Maybe it's just a typo and will be corrected?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #2184
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar1087

Yeah, I don't know what that seller is doing. It was definitely only $19.88 when I first ordered it, as confirmed by eBay, Paypal, and my credit card. Maybe it's just a typo and will be corrected?
That's what I think.

Either that, or he/she saw the link on the link on this site (or elsewhere, or maybe "just because") and is hoping to take advantage of people placing orders without paying too much attention. Don't know what the wholesale cost on those units are, but making an additional hundred bucks could very well be like selling 20+ extra units at regular price.

And if the seller has a similar listing with a more reasonable price, there's virtually no downside to attempting something like that, since they won't lose many (if any) sales to people who would pass on that price.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #2185
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I've been using a brew belt on mine with no problems... Bucket and Carboy. Since this is a new build I've been monitoring what the controller says and what the actual wort temp is and it's been spot on. I just taped the probe to the side with bubble wrap on top then a cut in half koozie taped on top of the bubble wrap....

Old 12-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #2186
ahurd110
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got mine wired up today, but I'm having a problem. Maybe this has been discussed before, I tried to get through the whole thread but couldn't find it. My problem is that the hot and cold outlets don't seem to be working independently- regardless of weather it is trying to heat or cool power seems to be going to both. On the OP I saw the note "very important to break off the jumper tab on the hot side so you can control each outlet independently," but I'm not too experience with electric work and am unsure what exactly this means. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #2187
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahurd110 View Post
Got mine wired up today, but I'm having a problem. Maybe this has been discussed before, I tried to get through the whole thread but couldn't find it. My problem is that the hot and cold outlets don't seem to be working independently- regardless of weather it is trying to heat or cool power seems to be going to both. On the OP I saw the note "very important to break off the jumper tab on the hot side so you can control each outlet independently," but I'm not too experience with electric work and am unsure what exactly this means. Any help would be appreciated!
did you break the jumper tab on the left side of the outlet?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #2188
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahurd110 View Post
It is a metal tab connecting the top outlet post (where the screws are that hold the wires) to the bottom outlet post. It should be fairly obvious. See the pics in posts 1322 and 1323 of this thread for reference-

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/index17.html#post2875981

Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #2189
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Also 3rd picture in this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/#post3152417

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #2190
ahurd110
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got it.
Thanks guys.

This thing is great, I have an IPA fermenting out with Pacman right now at a happy 63deg.

Quick Reply