Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #2111
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
okay thanks, i was just wondering cause the pictures on page 1 show all four post being used on the outlet
Ah - ok, now I understand why you were having trouble.

Technically, that is a dual outlet, while I was describing the connections to a single outlet. But if you don't remove the jumper straps found on the sides of any modern dual outlet assembly, hooking up to either pair of connections conveys them to the other pair.

fwiw, when I wire temp controllers I just cut a heavy duty extension cord in half to provide the "goes-into" and "comes-out-of" plug and socket...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #2112
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

looks like its working, turned on at least,,,lol. i will plug the fridge in now and keep my fingers crossed.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #2113
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

what is the eaiest way to get the probe into the fridge?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #2114
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer
what is the eaiest way to get the probe into the fridge?
Close the door on it.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #2115
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks flowmaster..that sure worked....past throught tyler once on my way to san angelo...funny seeing people on here from all over

Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #2116
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a thread search but didn't quite come up with good results on settings to use. What do you think about these:

Freezer (kegorator):
F1: 7.2°C (set point)
F2: 1.0°C (temp swing/range)
F3: 10 (minute delay)
F4: 0 (no need to change)

Fermenter
F1: 20°C
F2: 0.5°C
F3: 5 min
F4: 0

What I've found is that depending on which way you're shooting temps will tend to hover a bit off. So, if you need to warm your fermenter, temps are going to be on the cool side, if anything. OTOH if you're cooling, it will hang on the warm side... reason being that once the controller senses the target temp it stays there. I don't know if this is a good idea, but I've been bumping the set point up/down a couple tenths of a degree to make up for the difference. So, my fermenter is chugging away, keeping things nice and warm, but if my target temp in the carboy is 20.0°C, I may need to set it to 20.3°.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #2117
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
Freezer (kegorator):
F3: 10 (minute delay)

Fermenter
F3: 5 min
There is no rational reason to have the ASD set to anything other than its max value (10 minutes) for a compressor based system. If you are triggering the ASD during normal operations, there are mitigation options available other than killing your compressor.

Quote:
What I've found is that depending on which way you're shooting temps will tend to hover a bit off. So, if you need to warm your fermenter, temps are going to be on the cool side, if anything. OTOH if you're cooling, it will hang on the warm side... reason being that once the controller senses the target temp it stays there. I don't know if this is a good idea, but I've been bumping the set point up/down a couple tenths of a degree to make up for the difference. So, my fermenter is chugging away, keeping things nice and warm, but if my target temp in the carboy is 20.0°C, I may need to set it to 20.3°.

What do you guys think?
There are all manner of variables that influence what the average, max, and min temp of the liquid will be. The most important thing is to have the probe mounted appropriately to/in an appropriate vessel, and the diff set to your tolerance. Proper probe placement outweighs any of the other uncontrollable variables affecting liquid temps. To get to the level of variance you seem to be shooting for, you will need some extra probes and DAQ gear to see what is really going on, not just what the controller probe is showing. This will all change based on ambient conditions, so you need to add that to the analysis, and control protocols.

I just tape the probe to the side of a vessel, insulate, set the temp and diff to what I want, and call it good. There is nothing wrong with a little variance when fermenting, as long as it doesn't cause the yeast to freak out. Tight temp control (<1F) may not even be what is best for ferming beer.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #2118
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
There is no rational reason to have the ASD set to anything other than its max value (10 minutes) for a compressor based system. If you are triggering the ASD during normal operations, there are mitigation options available other than killing your compressor.

There are all manner of variables that influence what the average, max, and min temp of the liquid will be. The most important thing is to have the probe mounted appropriately to/in an appropriate vessel, and the diff set to your tolerance. Proper probe placement outweighs any of the other uncontrollable variables affecting liquid temps. To get to the level of variance you seem to be shooting for, you will need some extra probes and DAQ gear to see what is really going on, not just what the controller probe is showing. This will all change based on ambient conditions, so you need to add that to the analysis, and control protocols.

I just tape the probe to the side of a vessel, insulate, set the temp and diff to what I want, and call it good. There is nothing wrong with a little variance when fermenting, as long as it doesn't cause the yeast to freak out. Tight temp control (<1F) may not even be what is best for ferming beer.
With the side by side fridge, the cooling is controlled by a fan that blows air over the condenser coils and creates enough positive pressure to blow air through a damper in the side - there's no fridge control of the compressor, as far as I can tell. With the freezer side turned off the fridge can activate the fan all it wants and the compressor won't come on until the freezer warms up too much.

My probe is also taped and insulated to the side of the fermenter. Though I'm interested to see what the actual temps are, I agree that there's not much need beyond what we've done.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #2119
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

What do you guys think?
I notice that it cools to SP, then shuts off the compressor, which then lets the temp rise to SP+offset, then kicks on the compressor.

So with a 20* SP and 0.5* offset, you average at 20.25* in the chamber.

If you really want to hold at 20*, you need to set your temp to 19.75 with an offset of 0.5. Or to 19.7 with an offset of 0.6, or 19.8 with an offset of 0.4. You get the idea.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #2120
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
there's no fridge control of the compressor, as far as I can tell. With the freezer side turned off the fridge can activate the fan all it wants and the compressor won't come on until the freezer warms up too much.
I forgot you are using a side/side, and have serving/ferming areas. I assumed your were talking about 2 different appliances. Might be worth mentioning that as a reminder since this isn't the s/s build thread you have going.

Quick Reply