Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #2011
mistercameron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could always buy/make a thermowell to protect the probe. I remember seeing at least one build thread on these forums. Take the tubing, pinch/fold off one end, drop some solder down, then heat with a torch to liquefy and seal the hole.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #2012
raymcgill
Recipes 

Chemical bleaching. Hmm. Probably a good idea not to stick cheap chinese plastic crap into boiling water. Get an appropriate FOOD GRADE probe.

The other side of the idea is that its only a little bit and insignifigant. And if you boil it a few times in water first before brewing, it won't leach anything anyway...

It 'boils' down to What is the health risk? If there is one, the remedy is <$20.

Raymond

Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #2013
Wild Duk
Recipes 

For heat, are you guys using just a standard light bulb from the store, or a heat bulb from a pet store or something......

What kind of fixture are you mounting it to.....

Thx

Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #2014
raymcgill
Recipes 

Lightbulb is fine. I actually had to downsize to a 40w bulb to prevent it cycling so often and wider temperature swings. My mistakes were I went too thin on styrofoam (1") so the heat loss was greater. Use the 2"+ foam and I bet tiny bulb would work (and use almost no electricity).

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #2015
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do you put anything to block the light from the fermenters? Maybe like an aluminum shield or something?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #2016
raymcgill
Recipes 

I block the light with the standard tshirt around the fermenter.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #2017
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Use a ceramic reptile bulb

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #2018
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
For heat, are you guys using just a standard light bulb from the store, or a heat bulb from a pet store or something......

What kind of fixture are you mounting it to.....

Thx
I built this and it works great. Think it cost about 8 bucks.

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/F...ion-Can-Heater

Old 10-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #2019
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Not sure if anyone has tried this but it does all fit in the radio shack 6'' x 4'' x 2'' project box. It's is really tight and wiring it was kind of a pain. The 8 position barrier strip isn't even screwed down, it's literally jammed in between the box wall on one side and the side plate of the outlet unit on the other. Also you have to snip the plastic screw nubbin that holds the plate on the back of the controller. I wired it with some spare romex I had lying around, but stranded wire would probably make it easier to route the wires. Nice and compact though.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #2020
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
Not sure if anyone has tried this but it does all fit in the radio shack 6'' x 4'' x 2'' project box. It's is really tight and wiring it was kind of a pain. The 8 position barrier strip isn't even screwed down, it's literally jammed in between the box wall on one side and the side plate of the outlet unit on the other. Also you have to snip the plastic screw nubbin that holds the plate on the back of the controller. I wired it with some spare romex I had lying around, but stranded wire would probably make it easier to route the wires. Nice and compact though.
Very nice. I did a similar thing in an even SMALLER project box. I couldn't use the plate and had to cut the nubbin off just so the controller could fit inside at all. I used a single outlet since it's only being used for cooling and had to cut chunks of of the plastic screw receivers in the end of it to get the outlet to fit in the end, and I had to cut off parts of the outlet that were a little extraneous with tin snips.

The result is a very compact box and I'm quite happy with it. It was a lot more work than if I had used a bigger box though.

Quick Reply