Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #2001
ParadiseBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
And are guys using fans for just keezers, or fermentation fridges, or for both.... I just got my chest freezer off CL, got the controller, now just need to get it all together....I just plan on it to ferment and lager
i use fans in both frim and keezer box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #2002
Wild Duk
Recipes 

Is one big computer fan mounted on the bottom of the chest freezer lid enough, or maybe a small 120v fan and just put in on the "step" which is inside the freezer..... It's a 7.0 cf type freezer

Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #2003
gclunde
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
Is one big computer fan mounted on the bottom of the chest freezer lid enough, or maybe a small 120v fan and just put in on the "step" which is inside the freezer..... It's a 7.0 cf type freezer
I built a ferm chamber a few month back with a 5.0 cu ft G.E. freezer. I didn't use a fan for any sort of circulation and a simple 25W bulb as a heat source. So far, I haven't seen any need for anything more elaborate after a half a dozen batches...temp is controlled to within +/- 1 degree F and the freezer runs for about 7-8 minutes every hour and half. I came to the conclusion that it's a small enough area that natural circulation works just fine.

Just my $.02

If you wanna see some pics of my project...the link below will take you to it.
My Keezer Project

Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #2004
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk
I thought I'd post my experience here. To allow 4 pin locks and 1 ball lock fit in my keezer I built a stand to carry the height of the hump all the way across my keezer floor. I had a fan blowing the air around the keezer but it only circulated air around the top and the cold air really stayed at the bottom. I made a fan the sucks cool air from the bottom and exhausts to the top using a 2L bottle, a PVC tube and some duct tape. The hoses at the top are noticeably cooler now and condensation has been reduced quite a bit as well. My suggestion is to make sure you circulate air from the bottom to the top. Now, if I had not made the stand, I may not have had the issue I did. My 2 bits.

EDIT: Yes, that looks ghetto as hell, but it works great!
image-222841058.jpg   image-2194164636.jpg   image-4166493830.jpg  
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #2005
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
I thought I'd post my experience here. To allow 4 pin locks and 1 ball lock fit in my keezer I built a stand to carry the height of the hump all the way across my keezer floor. .
That is probably a good idea in general. I may be able to fit 4 ball locks in a 5cuft GE freezer that I am getting ready to build.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #2006
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Just wanted to thank the OP for the diagram and pics, I got mine finished and working in about an hour. Going to calibrate tonight and get a couple batches in the fermenter this weekend.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #2007
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3220 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
That is probably a good idea in general. I may be able to fit 4 ball locks in a 5cuft GE freezer that I am getting ready to build.
4 is a tight squeeze with a collar. You can get 4 + a 5# CO2 tank if you don't mind slightly denting the interior wall as you cram the tank in place. The stand isn't needed, but one of the kegs will hang halfway off of the hump.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2008
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I get one of these, but before I buy freezer I was thinking maybe I can use it for setting temperature of water in HLT, if it is good I"ll buy another one for fermentation control.
What do you guys think, can it be done and how would sensor react in 90° C water?
Also is it accurate enough so we can rely on it while mashing/sparging?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #2009
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diS View Post
I get one of these, but before I buy freezer I was thinking maybe I can use it for setting temperature of water in HLT.
What do you guys think, can it be done and how would sensor react in 90° C water?
Also is it accurate enough so we can rely on it while mashing/sparging?
I would not trust the cheap plastic covering the sensor in 90 deg C water. You would likely get some chemical leeching. Could be wrong but I wouldn't risk it myself.

I used a home depot temperature probe with similar plastic covering in my first AG brew day and it kinda melted... Threw that water out and started over with an analog thermometer.

Also if you calibrate the probe with ice water at 0 deg C it will be accurate near freezing. There may be some non-linearity up near boiling temperatures. Best way to test that would be to calibrate it with ice water (0 deg C) then boil water and see how far off you are - but again... chemical leeching.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #2010
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hmm.. I"m too afraid that it will melt.
I have K-type thermometer with metal probes, maybe I could connect this one instead of default sensor, but I"m not sure is there a difference between wires in them..

Quick Reply