The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1811
pvtschultz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonpeacock View Post
i didn't use any receptacles. I just replaced the mini-fridge thermostat with the stc-1000. I guess that doesn't keep me from wiring a single receptacle for the fan. any way to wire it directly into the circuit?
You could sacrifice a 120 VAC to 12 VDC wall wort to power the fan off the compressor power source.
2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #1812
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
This. I prefer running all the time. But if you really only want it on with cooling just don't break the jumper on the plug, leave the "heating circuit" unwired and plug a wall wart into the second outlet. They will both turn on when the "cooling circuit" turns on.
Running all the time is probably the most effective use of a fan, especially for this case where the capacity of the fridge was expanded. No wiring needed prior to the transformer, just plug it in to the wall. The DC output of the transformer then just needs to be connected to the correct +/- terminals on the fan.

If you just want it to come on when the cooling comes on, things are more difficult since your "upgraded" installation is directly wired into the thermostat circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonpeacock View Post
i didn't use any receptacles. I just replaced the mini-fridge thermostat with the stc-1000. I guess that doesn't keep me from wiring a single receptacle for the fan. any way to wire it directly into the circuit?
Your "upgraded" installation will come in especially handy when the fridge craps out, or when you want to use the controller on another appliance. If you want the fan to come on only when the cooling circuit is active, you are probably better off cutting your losses now, and just building the standard box most others in this build have done.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #1813
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Newly created sous-vide cooker / mini mash tun

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #1814
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
How long ago did you order it. He has the cheapest price on there, but mixtea seems to have good reviews on here. Just keep me posted.
Update... I ordered this from Skiesmall360 last monday, 8 days later counting a long weekend and its here! so thats what I have been doing the last 2 hours, rewiring my kegerator so it wont freeze this winter!!

PS: fuction tests show it working great, Ill check it again in the morning but thats probably because im crazy like that

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #1815
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsims21 View Post
Update... I ordered this from Skiesmall360 last monday, 8 days later counting a long weekend and its here! so thats what I have been doing the last 2 hours, rewiring my kegerator so it wont freeze this winter!!

PS: fuction tests show it working great, Ill check it again in the morning but thats probably because im crazy like that
That's what I want to hear Sims. I ordered mine in the middle of last week from Skiesmall and it was shipped the next day. Hopefully it will be here by early next week.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #1816
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
That's what I want to hear Sims. I ordered mine in the middle of last week from Skiesmall and it was shipped the next day. Hopefully it will be here by early next week.
Skiesmall360 is a good seller, I received mine in Canada in about 10 business days. I'm ordering a second one!

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #1817
physast
Recipes 

Just wondering what everyone is setting the keezers to using this temp controller.

I currently have the following settings with the probe setting in a jug of water and one PC fan running at all times:
F1 = 2.2
F2 = 0.5
F3 = 10
F4 = 0

With these settings it appears that the freezer turns on for about 10 - 15 min once an hour. I have not been patient enough to stand around for more than an hour to take detailed notes.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #1818
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast View Post
Just wondering what everyone is setting the keezers to using this temp controller.

I currently have the following settings with the probe setting in a jug of water and one PC fan running at all times:
F1 = 2.2
F2 = 0.5
F3 = 10
F4 = 0

With these settings it appears that the freezer turns on for about 10 - 15 min once an hour. I have not been patient enough to stand around for more than an hour to take detailed notes.
Stick an electrical-mechanical (not digital) clock in the socket, set it at 0, and see how much it runs over a 24 hour period.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #1819
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck

Stick an electrical-mechanical (not digital) clock in the socket, set it at 0, and see how much it runs over a 24 hour period.

M_C
Hah, that's an awesome idea

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #1820
physast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post

M_C
That is a great idea.. Now I need to see if I have a electrical-mechanical clock lying around. Growing up I use to have one in every room... Amazing how some technologies get replaced, without realy noticing.

Quick Reply