HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #1591
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime89 View Post
Ok this controller off of ebay, the 110v version, i plan on using it for a aquarium now here is my question can you set it were the cold side comes on at say 84° but the heat side does not come until it reaches say below 76°? Can both sides have there own setting? Also i dont know if anyone has done this yet as i am not reading that many pages but i am going to add a relay to my cold side to make stuff like my heat building aquarium lights shut off as well when the cold side comes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
I don't believe this particular unit can do two different temps.
It has a setting for the deadband (I think thats the name for it) to a max of 10 degrees C. So if you set it at 80 deg. F with a deadband of 12 deg. F I think it should do what you want (you will have to set it in degrees C though )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #1592
BrewForMe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If I order this from the seller that states they ship 110v to countries that use it and 220v to countries that use that, will i get 110v or are there alot of screw-ups in this department?

Anyone with experience?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #1593
FooFan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Atlanta GA and mine came in the correct voltage.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #1594
downtime89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
It has a setting for the deadband (I think thats the name for it) to a max of 10 degrees C. So if you set it at 80 deg. F with a deadband of 12 deg. F I think it should do what you want (you will have to set it in degrees C though )
can someone test this theory for me before i order one? say set a temp to heat up tp 76 and stop then cool if it hits 84. So set a dead band of 8 degrees between 76 and 84 is that right matt2d?

Last edited by downtime89; 07-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1595
JuanMoore
SACD

Recipes 

Liked 3179 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime89 View Post
Ok this controller off of ebay, the 110v version, i plan on using it for a aquarium now here is my question can you set it were the cold side comes on at say 84° but the heat side does not come until it reaches say below 76°? Can both sides have there own setting? Also i dont know if anyone has done this yet as i am not reading that many pages but i am going to add a relay to my cold side to make stuff like my heat building aquarium lights shut off as well when the cold side comes on.
The STC-1000 is programmed using one set value and one differential value for both heating and cooling. The way this works is that when the probe temp reads the set value plus the differential value, the cooling relay is activated and stays on until it reaches the set value. When the probe reads the set temp minus the differential, it activates the heat relay and stays on until the set temp is reached. To do what you're describing you'd simply put the set temp at 80, and the differential at 4. This would activate cooling at 84, keep cooling until 80, activate heating at 76, and keep heating to 80. I'm guessing you're referring to degrees fahrenheit though, and this controller is celcius. Converting to celcius, you'd want to put the set temp at ~26.7C and the differential at ~2.2C.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #1596
JuanMoore
SACD

Recipes 

Liked 3179 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewForMe View Post
If I order this from the seller that states they ship 110v to countries that use it and 220v to countries that use that, will i get 110v or are there alot of screw-ups in this department?

Anyone with experience?

Most have gotten the right one if it had that wording in the listing, but it's probably a good idea to write a reminder that you need the 110v version in the notes section when you pay.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #1597
downtime89
Recipes 

lol its for a aquarium.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #1598
krazydave
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can someone who's gone through this whole huge thread help me out here?
I'm looking for a schematic to wire this controller and have a small 12VDC PC fan turn on whenever the heating or cooling relays are active.
I understand I would likely need a separate relay to do so. To get the 12VDC from a wall-wort or some other type of power supply to the fan... Just curious what type of relay I'd need and where to wire the coil(s) to.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #1599
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave
Can someone who's gone through this whole huge thread help me out here?
I'm looking for a schematic to wire this controller and have a small 12VDC PC fan turn on whenever the heating or cooling relays are active.
I understand I would likely need a separate relay to do so. To get the 12VDC from a wall-wort or some other type of power supply to the fan... Just curious what type of relay I'd need and where to wire the coil(s) to.
I thought about that too (wiring it into both would have the effect of the heat relay turning on the cooling device, and vice versa), but I ultimately decided that the fan really uses such low wattage, and that it will still provide a small benefit, that I was better off just providing the fan an"always on" power source.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #1600
downtime89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
The STC-1000 is programmed using one set value and one differential value for both heating and cooling. The way this works is that when the probe temp reads the set value plus the differential value, the cooling relay is activated and stays on until it reaches the set value. When the probe reads the set temp minus the differential, it activates the heat relay and stays on until the set temp is reached. To do what you're describing you'd simply put the set temp at 80, and the differential at 4. This would activate cooling at 84, keep cooling until 80, activate heating at 76, and keep heating to 80. I'm guessing you're referring to degrees fahrenheit though, and this controller is celcius. Converting to celcius, you'd want to put the set temp at ~26.7C and the differential at ~2.2C.
So if the heat is set at 80 the heater not kick on at 80? i think a reef aquarium would have alot of issues going from 76-80 back and forth all day long. Altho i it shouldnt go over the set heat very often.I am going to have fun seeing if i can make this work... lol

Last edited by downtime89; 07-10-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply