Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #1461
infection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl77 View Post
Do you still have any of these transformers available?
I just ordered 5 transformers, i'm in Marlton, NJ so if you want one and can pick it up at my place (cash) to save the shipping

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #1462
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just finished mine tonight. I went over to Wayne's house Thursday and he did a great job of swapping transformers. Then I went to Home Depot and picked up a fiberglass gang box, receptacle, plug and wiring plate. It was about $8 for everything. I used a Dremel to trim some away some of the housing to fit over the new transformer. I hope between Wayne's picture and mine people will get a good idea where to make cuts. I also had to trim a few spots in the gang box. I then used a piece of Romex wire to string it all together, plugged it in and tested it - everything works. All work probably took me three hours. I'm gonna brew my lager on Monday.
My only regrets are hooking the cool circuit up on top, and the struggle it took to get everything squeezed into a two-gang box. I think I would advice a three-gang box, and possibly steel for better safety.

imag0050.jpg   imag0051.jpg   imag0052.jpg   imag0053.jpg  

Old 05-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #1463
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just an FYI... I just calibrated one of those units, using a mason jar full of water and a lab thermometer. The unit was indicating +1.5C (too high), so I was fermenting too low.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #1464
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I built mine tonight!

http://beer.hexkrak.com/2011/05/30/new-fermentation-chamber/

I was also concerned about the calibration, so I used the ice water method and it read about 1 degree Fahrenheit high for me. Turns out my probe thermometer is totally screwed up, I hope I didn't mash too high...

Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Alley Cat Ale IIPA
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Black Cat Stout, Cat Haus Ale
Want to know more? Visit my beer blog!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #1465
ere109
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mine was reading about a degree high, as well. Made the adjustment on F4. I also turned it down to .3 degrees for the variance.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #1466
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I had been shipped the 220v version of this controller despite ordering the 110v version. Fortunately the ebay seller has also shipped me a 110v because of their mistake which I will build another controller unit with upon arrival. Meanwhile I had a 220v sitting around, so I got in touch with @Wayne1 about the transformer solution and he sent along one of the units he had (thanks man!) I was able to desolder the 220v transformer and re-solder the new one in very easily. Anyone with soldering experience should have no trouble with this.

No photos of the build at the moment, but my controller looks just like @Wayne1's photos above with the hole cut to accomodate the taller transformer. I went with the RadioShack 8"x6"x3" project box, and following the lead of others I also installed a power switch and heat/cool neon indicator lights. The controller, lights and switch are mounted to the "front" of the project box, while the outlets are on top, and cords (power and sensor) extend out the "back".

I'm going to test it out for a few days on my kegerator before moving it to my fermentation chamber. 12 hours in so far and holding steady at 2.2ºC (+/- .5ºC).

This was a fun and easy project to complete, and I look forward to building another one soon. I've got several friends who are into homebrewing that aren't as comfortable with electrical work, so I will likely build a few more for them as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #1467
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
FWIW, Bicky (now doing business as "mixtea", I guess) was the name of the person who responded to my inquiry about changing my accidental 220V order to a 110V order.

Hope it comes through. *crosses fingers*
Bicky (Mixtea) came through huge! Seven days from order to delivery and he swapped out a 110V for the 220V mistakenly ordered.

If I wasn't "working" from home today, I'd run out to Home Depot and wire this project up right now.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #1468
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

So, how is everyone cutting their grey junction boxes? Craft knife scoring took for ever and I made no progress. Like expected, the Dremel with cutoff wheel melted the case into goo.

I've going to need to buy a new box. But until then, I'll be hacking away on this one.

Do the black Radio Shack boxes cut easier?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #1469
NickN72
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used the black radio shack box, and i used one of those vibrating multi-tools and it works great.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #1470
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I used a black radio shack box and dremmel. You need to put it on the slow setting and go slow with it. If you do get some melting, a file does a nice job of cleaning things up.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Quick Reply