New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #1211
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
I just finished up my temp controller build. Opted for cooling only with a fan to KISS. Only fancy option I decided to install was a USB plug in for the thermistor, mostly because I wanted to see if I actually could. I used the money I saved from this build to become a paying member too! WOOT!
DawgFather... did your USB idea word according to plan, does it accurately read temperature? I LOVE for a longer probe than the stock one supplied.

-=Jason=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #1212
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesanch View Post
I'm planning on doing this in the long run. Right now I have it between some insulation and the carboy.
Has anyone tried this temp probe in a standard thermowell?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #1213
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have read through most of the posts in here and ordered one of these off the flea bay. But when I contacted the seller asking for the 110V model, the broken english responce wasn't good. IF I end up with the 220V version, is there any use for it? I am no wiring expert, but can manage something on the simpler side, and I don't want to put more cash into it, as I can get the right one for sure for under 25 bucks, which I am going to do just in case.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #1214
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
DawgFather... did your USB idea word according to plan, does it accurately read temperature? I LOVE for a longer probe than the stock one supplied.

-=Jason=-
Yeah the idea worked but there were some drawbacks. The receptacle on a USB has tabs around the outside that allow the plug to have slight tension when inserting it or removing it. I used JB weld on the inside of the box to securely mount the receptacle and this prevented the tabs from moving enough so the fit on the plug is extremely tight. It still works very well, but there may be better ways of mounting it...and there is no way it will vibrate loose or anything like that. I also took apart a USB to PS2 connector to get the receptacle and if I had to do it over again, I would think the best option would be to cut a USB extension cord or to at least use the wires that connected the USB receptacle to the PS2 plug (I cut them off and it made for some tight wiring). When I do it over again, I think I will cut up a USB extension cord and figure out how to mount it to the box without putting any glue on any metal parts. If you want pics of the process, let me know and I can get some for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
Has anyone tried this temp probe in a standard thermowell?
I plan on going to Target today and getting a freezer gel pack and putting the probe inside a White Labs vial. I thought about going the thermowell route with the removable probe I have, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to sanitize it properly.
My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #1215
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
I have read through most of the posts in here and ordered one of these off the flea bay. But when I contacted the seller asking for the 110V model, the broken english responce wasn't good. IF I end up with the 220V version, is there any use for it? I am no wiring expert, but can manage something on the simpler side, and I don't want to put more cash into it, as I can get the right one for sure for under 25 bucks, which I am going to do just in case.
The way i understood it to work was that the seller determines the voltage of the controller by your shippingg address, unless you ask for a different one. So if your address is in the US, youll get a 110V controller
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #1216
lurker18

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That is what I am hoping for, but the email that they sent back seemed to me that I am getting the 220. Fingers crossed that I get the right one, but I just ordered another that made sure it will be 110.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #1217
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
The way i understood it to work was that the seller determines the voltage of the controller by your shippingg address, unless you ask for a different one. So if your address is in the US, youll get a 110V controller
What you SHOULD understand is that SOME sellers (of which there are several) determine the voltage of the controller by your shipping COUNTRY unless you ask otherwise. It is well documented in this thread that some sellers are only shipping 220v.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #1218
Bonch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
Has anyone tried a thermowell with the temperature probe that comes with the ebay aquarium controller?
It works wonderfully inside this

http://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell.html

The end of the probe is .25". The diameter of this tube is .29". It slides to the bottom with no effort.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1219
dgoldb1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonch View Post
It works wonderfully inside this

http://www.brewershardware.com/16-Stainless-Steel-Thermowell.html

The end of the probe is .25". The diameter of this tube is .29". It slides to the bottom with no effort.
I wonder if this thermowell will work:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/stopper-thermowell.html

Old 04-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #1220
learningmore
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Seller Metapark sells 220v controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
What you SHOULD understand is that SOME sellers (of which there are several) determine the voltage of the controller by your shipping COUNTRY unless you ask otherwise. It is well documented in this thread that some sellers are only shipping 220v.
I can confirm ebay seller Metapark sells only 220v controllers.

Quick Reply