Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #101
Bjornbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
Two things

First, it has to be below where you have it set by a specific amount. That's the differential adjustment. If you have it set at 5C with a differential of 1C, it won't turn on the heat until the temp gets to 4C.
Agreed. that was my first thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
Second, if the temp is dropping quickly, you could be running into the anti short cycle delay. After it turns off, it won't turn back on within that amount of time.
It only has a delay for the cooling..."compressor cool down" as they call it.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #102
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If that's the case, I'd say you've got a bunk controller. Contact the seller to see if they can ship you out a replacement? They're in China so it may not be easy or even worth the $30.00 you spent on the controller, but it's worth a shot.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #103
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i thought differential as well. let us know if that fixes it, otherwise, i'd definitely contact them about getting a new one. i bet they will help you out.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #104
MatterOne
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I haven't really been able to monitor it at all because I haven't been around, but it seems to be working okay now.

I thought that the temperature differential was the amount it would overheat. For example, if it were set at 5c with a differential of 1c, it would turn it on at 5c, and heat it until it got to 6c.

Apparently, I was mistaken.

So, I'll try to keep an eye on what it's doing over the weekend and I'll be sure to update.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #105
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterOne View Post
I haven't really been able to monitor it at all because I haven't been around, but it seems to be working okay now.

I thought that the temperature differential was the amount it would overheat. For example, if it were set at 5c with a differential of 1c, it would turn it on at 5c, and heat it until it got to 6c.

Apparently, I was mistaken.

So, I'll try to keep an eye on what it's doing over the weekend and I'll be sure to update.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.
If I remember the instruction correctly, the heating contact closes when T=Tsetpoint - Tdiff

The cooling contact closes when T = Tsetpoint + Tdiff

Both turn off when T = Tsetpoint

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #106
MatterOne
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Alright, I understand now. (In the second line, you meant to say cooling contact, right?)

It seems kind of backwards to me that they would do it that way. Oh well.

But that was my problem, and everything is working fine. Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes.

So, while we're at it, where is everyone setting their differentials? Mine is set at .6 right now, giving me a one degree F swing.

Aaaaaand what is the point of the cooling delay?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #107
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Alright, I understand now. (In the second line, you meant to say cooling contact, right?)

But that was my problem, and everything is working fine. Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes.

So, while we're at it, where is everyone setting their differentials? Mine is set at .6 right now, giving me a one degree F swing.

Fixed it...thanks.

it really doesn't matter if it switches lower than the setpoint or higher..it's still a set differential. My set point is at 4.4C with a .5 differential. haven't really noted how often it cycles.

The cooling delay is to let the compressor cool down before the next cycle. starting a hot compressor will reduce the life (lots of current draw to start when already hot is a bad thing).

Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #108
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:

I'm using a .5 degree differential with a 10 or 15 minute delay. The point is that often refrigeration doesn't like being short cycled, sometimes to the point of an early demise.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #109
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Subscribed.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #110
the_Roqk

Recipes 

I've ordered me one of those little contollers off of ebay. I recently was given a 20 cu ft fridge from a friend of mine. He was remodeling his kitchen and wife wanted a new fridge. He just wanted the one he gave me out of his house. Thing is, his fridge is better than the one I have now. So I'm gonna take my old one and convert it to a being a fermenting chamber/ lagerator. My controller wont be sent until after the Easter holiday. No matter, I have plenty to work on until it arrives.

Thanks to the OP for posting the info.

Quick Reply