Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ebay aquarium temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #91
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wired mine up over the weekend. I'm an idiot with this stuff but even I was able to get it to work without too much trouble. A nice unit that does what it says it will do. I'll keep my eye out for another for my eventual fermentation chamber.

N_G
It could be worse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #92
Weissbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Neck_Brewer View Post
I just wanted to thank Andrew and all you guys for posting replys on this thread. I just got mine in the mail and can't wait to get this hooked up. The thing that suprised me was the size, it's small. Can we use another temp probe?

Thanks again
I tried to wire mine up with an Auberins thermocouple and it didnt work. This model to be specific, http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_ id=109 I would be interested to know if the controller would work with another probe as well. I had little luck searching for Replacement NTC Probes, this was about all I could find...

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=955

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Weissbier; 03-30-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #93
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ordered mine last night to control the guts of the mini fridge I just tore apart. Looking forward to finally being able to ferment at stable temperatures - hooray!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #94
Mose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My RIS just gushed all over my basement, partially due to bad temp control. I ordered mine today and will be building a ferm chamber right away before more precious wort drains across the floor.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #95
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
That heater is listed at 13A, the controller is only listed for 10A.
The instructions that came with my controller say it's rated for 15A.
Fermentation Chamber Project

Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #96
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm_rx7 View Post
The instructions that came with my controller say it's rated for 15A.
Hmm, now I'm curious what it should be, the confusion appears to be that the specs in the auction are for the 220V version:

# Relay contact capacity (Heating): 10A (max) 250 V
# Relay contact capacity (Cooling):10 A (max) 250 V

I'd love to pick up another and wire it into my HLT if it handles 15A@110. It might even encourage me to pick up one more for RIMS on my MLT.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #97
MatterOne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I need some help. I think I'm missing something.

I built my temp controller, and it worked fine at first, but after the heater kicked in and got the temp up to where I want it and the heater turned off, it never turned back on. The temperature dropped below where I have it set, but didn't turn back on. Now, I've been messing with it for a couple days, and it's been below temperature and had the "heat" light on, but it's also been below temp and the heat light didn't come on. Now, earlier tonight I didn't have anything plugged into it, and the light was on. When I plugged my heater in, it turned on and got it up to the right temperature, but then it wouldn't turn on again when it cooled down.

I double-checked the wiring, and it's wired just like Android's diagram.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #98
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterOne View Post
I need some help. I think I'm missing something.

I built my temp controller, and it worked fine at first, but after the heater kicked in and got the temp up to where I want it and the heater turned off, it never turned back on. The temperature dropped below where I have it set, but didn't turn back on. Now, I've been messing with it for a couple days, and it's been below temperature and had the "heat" light on, but it's also been below temp and the heat light didn't come on. Now, earlier tonight I didn't have anything plugged into it, and the light was on. When I plugged my heater in, it turned on and got it up to the right temperature, but then it wouldn't turn on again when it cooled down.

I double-checked the wiring, and it's wired just like Android's diagram.

Any ideas/suggestions?
What happens if you just plug in a light bulb or lamp to the heater outlet instead? Is the heater drawing more than 10-15amps?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #99
MatterOne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
What happens if you just plug in a light bulb or lamp to the heater outlet instead? Is the heater drawing more than 10-15amps?
Good question. I thought of that same thing, so I switched from using a heater to using a Goldenrod (meant to be used as a gun safe dehumidifier). It draws very little power and I still have the same problem.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #100
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Two things

First, it has to be below where you have it set by a specific amount. That's the differential adjustment. If you have it set at 5C with a differential of 1C, it won't turn on the heat until the temp gets to 4C.

Second, if the temp is dropping quickly, you could be running into the anti short cycle delay. After it turns off, it won't turn back on within that amount of time.

Quick Reply