Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Easy Corny Keg Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drum-washing-nozzles/=kui2se

Part #71445T84

It's a PVDF rotating nozzle made by a German company Lechler.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #22
jcaudill
Recipes 

Just a quick follow-up - this is probably still the most valuable piece of equipment in the brewery that I built. It saves a lot of time and more importantly it saves chemicals! One thing I did add is a tee right under the lid. The tee has a barb that I attached some PVC tubing to with a liquid ball lock connector. After I slide the keg down, I connect this to the out side. This way I blast PBW through the liquid dip tube the entire cycle and there is absolutely no need to break the keg down. I attached a bare gas ball lock connector to the gas side so that it allows PBW to pass through. Highly recommend this!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
Pjdes42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

That's a pretty sweet Keg / Conical / Carboy washer. I have been thinking about building one myself and thought that a bucket wouldn't work, however I believe changed my mind.

Thanks for sharing the idea and updating the thread

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
mvanwie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Apologies in advance for the necro...

My keg washer is a spin on what the OP designed; however, I use a Challenger VI (flat bottom corny) as my primary fermenter, and I cannot seem to CIP the krausen ring without a good toilet brush scrubbing (don't worry, it's dedicated to the brewery & never seen a toilet).

I typically use home-made PBW (although I have used real PBW with similar results) at just over the prescribed minimum CIP concentration (1/3C:2.5gal or 1.06oz/gal) at 145-155degF for 20-30 minutes, but even an hour on the washer leaves some krausen behind. Incidentally, an overnight soak at the same concentration is typically sufficient to kill the ring completely following a hot rinse, so it's not as if the cleaner lacks the necessary cleaning power, but I don't want to wait overnight to clean a keg - especially when I have more than one to clean - but I want to be able to do something else while the keg is washing.

The material differences in my design are 1) my washer is not standalone, it is integrated with my hard-piped, all copper & aluminum brew rig - so no acid cleaners - and 2) I don't have a nozzle on the washer output... instead I drilled a bunch of 1/8" & 3/16" holes in a 1/2" copper cap at the top and seven 3/16" holes winding down the sides of the copper tube. The flow rate seems adaquate (4-5 gpm) and I'm all but certain that I'm getting 100% coverage inside the keg. As the cleaning solution cools, the liquid level inside the keg rises above the krausen as a result of the negative pressure, so the entire ring is even getting a good soak for at least 15-20 minutes of the 30 minute cleaning cycle. My guess is that I'm not getting the penetration necessary to break up the krausen since the cleaning solution simply flows over the krausen ring at the mere speed/force of gravity for those first 10-15 minutes; however, if I simply drilled some holes near the bottom of the tube (so as to spray the top of the inverted keg), I'm afraid I'm still going to still have a ring but with small circles of clean stainless where the streams actually hit the ring.

Has anyone had any success CIPing a krausen ring in under 30 minutes without mechanical intervention?

Is a lower/higher flow rate necessary? Should I up the concentration of PBW? Is a nozzle the answer? Or is it just not possible without a long soak and/or scrubbie?

keg-washer.jpg  

Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #25
jcaudill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanwie View Post
Apologies in advance for the necro...

My keg washer is a spin on what the OP designed; however, I use a Challenger VI (flat bottom corny) as my primary fermenter, and I cannot seem to CIP the krausen ring without a good toilet brush scrubbing (don't worry, it's dedicated to the brewery & never seen a toilet).

I typically use home-made PBW (although I have used real PBW with similar results) at just over the prescribed minimum CIP concentration (1/3C:2.5gal or 1.06oz/gal) at 145-155degF for 20-30 minutes, but even an hour on the washer leaves some krausen behind. Incidentally, an overnight soak at the same concentration is typically sufficient to kill the ring completely following a hot rinse, so it's not as if the cleaner lacks the necessary cleaning power, but I don't want to wait overnight to clean a keg - especially when I have more than one to clean - but I want to be able to do something else while the keg is washing.

The material differences in my design are 1) my washer is not standalone, it is integrated with my hard-piped, all copper & aluminum brew rig - so no acid cleaners - and 2) I don't have a nozzle on the washer output... instead I drilled a bunch of 1/8" & 3/16" holes in a 1/2" copper cap at the top and seven 3/16" holes winding down the sides of the copper tube. The flow rate seems adaquate (4-5 gpm) and I'm all but certain that I'm getting 100% coverage inside the keg. As the cleaning solution cools, the liquid level inside the keg rises above the krausen as a result of the negative pressure, so the entire ring is even getting a good soak for at least 15-20 minutes of the 30 minute cleaning cycle. My guess is that I'm not getting the penetration necessary to break up the krausen since the cleaning solution simply flows over the krausen ring at the mere speed/force of gravity for those first 10-15 minutes; however, if I simply drilled some holes near the bottom of the tube (so as to spray the top of the inverted keg), I'm afraid I'm still going to still have a ring but with small circles of clean stainless where the streams actually hit the ring.

Has anyone had any success CIPing a krausen ring in under 30 minutes without mechanical intervention?

Is a lower/higher flow rate necessary? Should I up the concentration of PBW? Is a nozzle the answer? Or is it just not possible without a long soak and/or scrubbie?
This is hard to answer without seeing more detail in the setup - but I'm just going to take stab. So while I don't have your precise situation, I do CIP my conicals that would have the same krausen ring and I don't ever have to scrub anything. I am going to guess your main problem is you aren't generating sufficient pressure in your sprayer to help the chemical out. Really for an adequate CIP you need both chemical, and pressure. Another problem I see is the location of your spray compared to where your krausen ring is. It doesn't look like you'd have adequate spray pressure at in that area.

Soaking generally isn't enough - unless you can let it soak for a loooong time. And it's a waste of water and chemical. I think you need to figure out how you can get more spray pressure around where the krausen ring is.

Again - just a guess from what I'm seeing in your drawing!

Quick Reply