Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Dual Coil immersion chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Mobstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dual Coil immersion chiller

Here's the chiller I gave birth to!
I can post a parts list if anyone is interested in building one.
I plan on testing it after the Canada day weekend!
Should be much more efficient than one long coil that sticks 1/2 way out of the wort! I used a 50' coil of soft copper. The outer coil was wrapped around an 8" cylinder for making concrete footers, and I used a 2L glass jug for the inner coil "About 6 inches diameter "

Last edited by Mobstar; 06-29-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: more details.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I'd recommend angling the 2 pipes so the water connections are not over the pot. Sometimes those connections can leak and unsanitized water could drip into your brew pot. Ideally the connections are outside the rim of the pot and angled down away from the rim so any drips end up outside the pot.

Very nice work. What type of tubing did you use? Type L? M? I'm making one now from the cheaper A/C grade tubing. It's somewhat thinner then the M or L types. But it solders up to 3/8" pipe fittings.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice neat, clean work! I did something similar, but instead of one long run, the inner and outer coils are separate.

-Joe

Old 06-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Mobstar
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice.. This is why I didn't trim down the long straight pieces. I may bend them so they hook onto the keggle. I'm just not sure I will bend the solid tubing without kinking it.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I was going to make the same comment as Joe. You'd notice a big improvement by splitting the input across the two coils.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Mobstar
Recipes 

I'm thinking that both coils in series would work better because the water flows towards the path of least resistance. Having 2 coils merge into 1 path would cause resistance in the flow. I'd really like to find some info for comparison. If you are correct, it would be simple for me to modify.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
bja
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobstar View Post
I'm thinking that both coils in series would work better because the water flows towards the path of least resistance. Having 2 coils merge into 1 path would cause resistance in the flow. I'd really like to find some info for comparison. If you are correct, it would be simple for me to modify.
Run them in parallel. I did the same thing you did. At first They were in series then I later changed to parallel. It works much better.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

There's no problem with flow. In fact, you usually run the input at much less than full anyway. What you gain by splitting and running parallel is twice the surface area when the water to wort temp delta is the highest. One long coil reduces the delta for most of the surface area. In other words, after 20 or so feet, the coolant is already getting very close to the wort temp.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #9
Bret86944
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
One long coil reduces the delta for most of the surface area. In other words, after 20 or so feet, the coolant is already getting very close to the wort temp.
But that also means he could up the flow rate and cool the wort down even faster. Just playing devil's advocate...

Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Playing devil's advocate's apprentice, no one said you had to use a symmetrical tee to split and combine. You can use one with a larger tap for the in/out. You can directly solder the parallel runs into a 1" copper cap. Now you're flowing more than a single line could anyway. Diminishing returns.

New Stuff?

Quick Reply