Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Dry Ice for temporary Kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
sarsnik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use dry ice for a fermentation chiller. Never had problems with it cooling, as it lasts a decent amount of time. One consideration is that you'll want a way to vent the CO2 as the ice 'melts' (sublimes I suppose), especially out of the passenger area.

If you pass out in your car it'll be the beer that gets blamed, not CO2 inhalation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
bdimag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds promising now; I'm happy Insulation will be put in before the show this year, so yes, it wasn't in last year. I think i'll also throw on a digital thermometer.

so 2lbs in a 60qt kept it at about what temp? Maybe i can work an equation out of it lol...

Or maybe I just need to grab some and experiment? I wonder if I'll have to actively maintain (i.e. put more ice in, vent out cold air), or if there's a magic amount I can put in and keep everything @38*F for 3 days.... Or hell, if it's as simple as over icing it and continuously venting out air, i'd gladly hook up some 12v fans and install a proper vent. (or hmm -- one for cold air out, one for warm air in)

Brian
bdimag

Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

[QUOTE=bdimag;4046491]...or if there's a magic amount I can put in and keep everything @38*F for 3 days.... ..[QUOTE]

3 days

You are gonna need a helluva lot of insulation, ice, or both...good luck awesome mobile kegerator...maybe also a large extreme cooler full of spare ice as well.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
bdimag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well 2 days actually... not that anybody stays on Sunday, but those who do won't be drinking before driving home.

does that help?

Brian
bdimag

Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For the love of god, do not drive with the windows rolled up. Maybe I've seen too many episodes of CSI, but dry ice sublimating into pure CO2 (which is heavier than normal air so it doesn't float away if there's no wind to take it away) could be dangerous while driving a long distance in a sealed car.

Aside from that, good luck. Dry ice in a cooler is one thing...dry ice left in a hot trunk is another.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts

so 2lbs in a 60qt kept it at about what temp? Maybe i can work an equation out of it lol...

I don't have a thermometer in the cooler but the if I had to guess it maintains somewhere between 35 and 40f through HOT ambient temps at Coastal GA in July. The cooler is quite full at the begining of the trip as we are feeding at least 13 people. The butter never melts, the lunch meat and raw meat/raw seafood never show signs of spoiling and eggs stay cold. I don't put milk in there it gets kind of funky, I don't think it's the temp. as much as the CO2 released.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
bdimag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

found a place close by that sells it, I think i'll do some experiments

the 2 things i'm thinking now are:
go overkill on the ice, and have the ability to raise the temperature via 2 of these --- one in, one out and a switch with 2 settings, exhaust-only and purge

or

smaller box inside being the main ice storage with a fan that essentially blows over the ice and out of the box (mini a/c?)

thoughts?

Brian
bdimag

Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
Toymaker
Arrgh!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
For the love of god, do not drive with the windows rolled up. Maybe I've seen too many episodes of CSI, but dry ice sublimating into pure CO2 (which is heavier than normal air so it doesn't float away if there's no wind to take it away) could be dangerous while driving a long distance in a sealed car.

Aside from that, good luck. Dry ice in a cooler is one thing...dry ice left in a hot trunk is another.
If that were a Michigan Volvo you'd have enough rust holes in the floor of the trunk to let any CO2 out through there..Ventilation not necessary>>LOL

Cheers,
Gary

Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
bdimag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if anyone else is interested in using dry ice like this, i found a nice page: http://www.dryiceinfo.com/broken.htm

additionally, I am upgrading:

(this is to make a T with the other tower i have... idea from the guy who did it with PVC )

Arrogant Bastard Ale
Dogfish Head 90min
Bud Light for everyone else
+spare keg hookup

Brian
bdimag

Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As far as regulating temp put the keg in a water bath, it will keep the temp more steady, taking up extra cold when too cold by freezing and letting out the cold if the dry ice runs low.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Quick Reply