New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > drilling through the wall?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
jpabian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default drilling through the wall?

I have a Haier wine cooler that we really don't use anymore, so I was thinking that it might make a good kegerator for my corny and mini-kegs. But there is no way I could fit my CO2 tank in there so it will have to live outside.

I looked at as many pics as I could and I was curious what you all are doing for this? Are you drilling through the wall and just pushing the hose through or are you using some handy connector?

What do you guys recommend and can you point me to any good resources or sellers? I looked at the plumbing section at Home Depot and I didn't see anything that looked like it would work.

Thanks!

My Twitter Profile: http://twitter.com/TheBrewStand
Check out the TheBrewStand!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just drilled slighty smaller then the CO2 tube and pulled it through. It was a pretty snug fit but I dabbed some great stuff on both sides.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 09-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Will that thing get cold enough? My wine coolers only get down to just below 50. Maybe 48. They are the thermoelectric ones though.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Recusit8m
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Ahhhh...A Lagering vessel out of a wine chiller...NICE...

Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

I ran a 1/4" by whatever brass nipple through with a flare > corny post adapter > corny post on the outside and a 90 degree angle barb fitting on the inside, grommet on the outside skin and a rubber spacing washer on the inside. Works well.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recusit8m View Post
Ahhhh...A Lagering vessel out of a wine chiller...NICE...
I do use one as a lager fermentation chamber since it holds 50 degrees perfectly. Not nearly cold enough for lagering though. It would need to chill about 15 - 17 degrees more than it can to do that.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
jpabian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know I can set the temp lower, but not sure how low. Plan B is to use the smaller fridge we have in the garage, but it isn't as nice looking as the wine cooler, (it's got a glass door with a purple tinted light). My Co2 tank is 10lbs so it's huge!

Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

I hear what you're saying. My wine coolers are very nice looking with their smoked glass. I have one in my dining room now because it so inoffensive.

I also wondered whether you can jump the wine cooler thermostat so that it runs constantly until the circuit is closed by the external t-stat. Is yours compressor based or thermoelectric like mine?

I have a Haier fridge in my basement that I use as a fermentation chamber and it is thermoelectric.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
jpabian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it's thermoelectric since it's so quiet. I did just did a dry fit and it will just barely hold my corny keg and two mini-kegs, but you are right; I'm not sure if it will get cold enough.

I don't think I could use it as a fermentation chamber, since the bottom is shaped for a drawer, so my bucket or carboy won't fit.

Hmm, still need to noodle over this.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpabian View Post
I think it's thermoelectric since it's so quiet. I did just did a dry fit and it will just barely hold my corny keg and two mini-kegs, but you are right; I'm not sure if it will get cold enough.

I don't think I could use it as a fermentation chamber, since the bottom is shaped for a drawer, so my bucket or carboy won't fit.

Hmm, still need to noodle over this.
Maybe someone could weigh in here on whether the thermoelectric temp controllers can be bypassed to drive a lower than intended temp inside.

Quick Reply