New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Drilling a kettle for a spigot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
briandickens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drilling a kettle for a spigot

So, my wife got me a 15 gallon kettle for Christmas and my sister got me the Zymico Weld-b-gone Kettle Conversion Kit. Sweet, right? So, anyone have any advice for where to put the hole? It needs a 7/8" hole, which should be easy enough. Is this tough to do? I don't want to F up my kettle. Should be easy enough, right?

I also got a Bayou Burner (SQ14) and a Barley Crusher. I am so stoked to brew!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandickens
So, my wife got me a 15 gallon kettle for Christmas and my sister got me the Zymico Weld-b-gone Kettle Conversion Kit. Sweet, right? So, anyone have any advice for where to put the hole? It needs a 7/8" hole, which should be easy enough. Is this tough to do? I don't want to F up my kettle. Should be easy enough, right?

I also got a Bayou Burner (SQ14) and a Barley Crusher. I am so stoked to brew!
Do you plane on using it as a HLT or a Boil kettle? I am no expert but if you are going to use it as a HLT you should get the false bottom and set in the bottom and let that dictate your tap hight as for the boil kettle, I would say as close to the bottom as possible. Just make sure that you have enough clearance for all of your parts so you can make a good seal. S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Keggle#Hole_Cutting
EonBlue66 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
briandickens
Recipes 

I'm using the kettle as my boil kettle. So I think I'll try to get the hole as close to the bottom as I can. Or maybe I'll drill an inch or so off the bottom to make sure i have enough room for everything. I don't want to screw up the kettle.

That link to the wiki is very handy. Thanks! I figured drilling a little smaller than 7/8" would be a good idea.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 859 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you get sticker shock when you try to buy the step bit and decide to cheap out and use a bimetal hole saw, make sure you go smaller and use a file to open it up for a tight fit. I'd go at least down to 3/4" which is a sixteenth of an inch smaller.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If you get sticker shock when you try to buy the step bit and decide to cheap out and use a bimetal hole saw, make sure you go smaller and use a file to open it up for a tight fit. I'd go at least down to 3/4" which is a sixteenth of an inch smaller.
I agree. I drilled my keggle with a 3/4" bimetal hole saw from home depot just a couple weeks ago. It was an absolute piece of cake, the holesaw went through like a hot knife through butter. 5-10 minutes with a dremel and a grinding stone cleaned up the hole and enlarged it just enough that the 1/2"NPT pipe nipple is a nice snug fit in the hole.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just make sure you drill hole high enough so the washer on the inside isnt on the curved bottom. I found the spot by placing the washer on the inside first so see where it would be the most flush.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 12-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
briandickens
Recipes 

Quote:
found the spot by placing the washer on the inside first so see where it would be the most flush.
that's what i'll do. then mark it on the outside and drill the hole. can't wait.

Quick Reply