Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Drilling Keggle help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
cpatel479
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Drilling Keggle help

I can't seem to get the step bit to keep going to the 7/8" mark. I'm stuck about half way through the bit. Please help

Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
chrisknight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel479 View Post
I can't seem to get the step bit to keep going to the 7/8" mark. I'm stuck about half way through the bit. Please help
Is the bit in good shape? Are you using WD40 or another lube?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
My brewing videos
My brew rig project

Old 05-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
cpatel479

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisknight

Is the bit in good shape? Are you using WD40 or another lube?
The bit is brand new and I am using canola oil. I got through the next step but it is taking a while. Is this normal?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 14

SS is a very hard metal, and takes a bit of work to get through. Each incremental step up should take slightly longer than the previous step, since you are removing more and more metal as the hole gets larger.

I don't know what kind of bit you got, but fwiw, when I drilled my keggle I ordered a cheap off brand bit from amazon.com since I didn't want to spend the $40 that my local hardware store wanted to charge. My bit was ruined after one hole... Luckily, I only needed one hole lol.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you started from the pilot hole with the step but, you've probably work hardened the area around the bit. If it's a cheap bit (Harbor Freight/TiNi coated) then it could also be the bit. I use cobalt bits anytime I'm drilling into stainless steel. I have a couple (smaller bits) that are too dull to cut into it now. Luckily I don't use those too often.

You need enough coolant/lubricant to both keep the bit, material you're drilling through, cool and lubricated to do the job. Just using a little probably isn't anywhere near enough.

Try drilling one step, then cooling down with water from the hose. Make it cool to the touch again before going to the next step. If you can, you might want to have a slow stream of water going over the bit and work area too. That can be tricky if you're working alone.

IMO, drill bits is one of the tools you don't want to go cheap on. Sure, you could make a couple of holes with the cheap bits, but then you're out buying new ones for the next time you need to use them. Getting good bits means you'll get many more holes from them. The cobalt bits I've been using easily last 3-4x what the TiNi coated bits did. Cool the material/bits decently and they last even longer.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
logdrum
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 31

also might want to actually dip your bit in the oil and use a slower speed if your drill has one.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
also might want to actually dip your bit in the oil and use a slower speed if your drill has one.
I use mine in the lowest range (0-500 rpm) and sometimes turn it at less than full speed there. I know from drilling enough that slower is better with stainless steel. It's just not easy to judge the actual RPMs you're getting from a hand drill. That's where drill presses are so much nicer/better. But unless you have a floor stand model, chances are slim that you'll be able to use one for drilling into a keg/keggle.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

More than likely you have hardened the area around the hole. We have melted drill bits by drilling stainless at to high of a speed.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
cpatel479

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Rough day. I had bought a $15 bit. I ended up alternating drilling and filing to get two wholes. I switched from canola oil to cutting fluid from Lowes. I think that tithe canola oil was actually working better. The cutting fluid was just burning the second I started to drill. I will have more holes to drill in the future so I am wondering if the Ore expensive Irwin step drill bit is worth the $40ish Lowes is asking. Does anyone know if that bit is decent?

Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you're talking about the cobalt bit then, yes, it's worth it. It's the one I've been using lately. Just be sure to cool it too. You could be better off with a stream of water over the hole/area as you drill.

I only need to go up to a 1/2" hole these days since I'm using a hole punch.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply