LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Drill for grain mill

I bought a Dewalt 1/2 VSR drill. I like it but it will only lock for continuous operation when it is running at a very high speed, too high for milling. Can anyone recommend a powerful VSR drill that can lock at any speed? I will be milling 50+ pounds of grain at a time and I don't want to have to stand there pressing the trigger.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
jamorgan3777
Recipes 

I am looking into this as well. Many have used the harbor freight slow speed VSR drill that is used for mixing paint and concretehttp://http://www.harborfreight.com/...ill-93632.html

I believe it has a lock and at max it is 500rpm which would work well for a mill. Its big and heavy though so I would think some sort of built in or support arrangement would be needed. I currently use a craftsman VSR and it works well, but I am only doing 10-15 lb of grain for 5 gal batches. If/when I move up to 10gal I will be doing 25+ lbs and will look more into a dedicated mill station. My barley crusher on a bucket with the drill attached does not fall over. With the HF drill on it, it would. FWIW, I can mill that 15lb of grain in ~2 minutes for a small BIAB crush. 50lb would take a while so I can see your need.

Primary 4: Empty

Tap 1: Pilsner/Hallertauer SMaSH
Tap 2: Irish Red Ale
Tap 3: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg 4: Pilsner/Hallertauer SMaSH
Keg 5: Empty

Next Project: Portable CO2 Dispensing System

Next Brew: ???

Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I'd watch eBay for a gear motor. You can mount it right to a small base that you could set on a bucket.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I'd watch eBay for a gear motor. You can mount it right to a small base that you could set on a bucket.
Any advice on which kind to get? I know nothing about gear motors, but I found a link to this http://www.wortomatic.com/php/articles.php?ID=28 which recommended a 105 RPM 115 VAC one. The link to the one he used no longer works, but searching Surplus Center I see many different motors with similar specs. I just don't know how much torque I need.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
jammin

Recipes 

Surplus center is a great place to buy, but is often sold out on proper motors; you might get lucky though.

The key is getting enough torque while maintaining a reasonable RPM. I'd say to try and find a motor with 20+ lb-inches of torque. Probably want at least 50 RPM's, but torque is more important.

They come in all sorts of these torque/rpm combos so just snoop around. It would be a killer setup for you though and worth the effort.

Check out grainger for a coupler setup to connect your gear motor and mill. Wire it with a 3-pole switch if you want to get fancy and add reverse

PS - there is a pic or YouTube video out there somewhere of a guy who has a gear motor connected to his mill. Everything is mounted to a base that sits quite well on top of a bucket. Very sleek setup.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
Surplus center is a great place to buy, but is often sold out on proper motors; you might get lucky though.

The key is getting enough torque while maintaining a reasonable RPM. I'd say to try and find a motor with 20+ lb-inches of torque. Probably want at least 50 RPM's, but torque is more important.

They come in all sorts of these torque/rpm combos so just snoop around. It would be a killer setup for you though and worth the effort.

Check out grainger for a coupler setup to connect your gear motor and mill. Wire it with a 3-pole switch if you want to get fancy and add reverse

PS - there is a pic or YouTube video out there somewhere of a guy who has a gear motor connected to his mill. Everything is mounted to a base that sits quite well on top of a bucket. Very sleek setup.
The ones I see now are all around 5 bucks. Like here is one https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...tname=electric and it has a rating of 58 in oz. Is that basically 3 lb-inches?

I would think this motor would cost a bit more than 5 bucks.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Who needs a built in lock. Maybe this is just my inner redneck, but I use baling wire and/or duct tape to hold the trigger. Keep twisting the wire until you get the speed you want.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those aren't going to cut it. Your best bet is to hunt on ebay for one surplus center has been sold out of proper motors for close to a year now.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
jammin

Recipes 

What kind of mill do you plan on running? Do you plan on conditioning your malt?

Might you upgrade to a larger mill in the future?

Quick Reply