Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Dremel Owners - corded vs cordless

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #61
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default +1 corded

More umph , and no worry about batterries

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #62
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus00 View Post
Are dremels used a lot in homebrew projects. I am young but never been great with tools or a DIY kind of guy. But I will probably move away from home to live with friends soon so.... Is a dremel used a lot in homebrew projects because if i rent i wont be doing a lot of around the house improvements. If not used in homebrewing a lot i could always drive 3-4 hours to have my cousin teach me the ways of a DIY guy and help me build my STC temp controller
I guess it depends on how crafty you are and how much stuff you build on your own. For a basic AG set up the only thing I could see it used for would be to cut slots in your mash tun manifold, or the top off a keg if you dont have a brew pot already. Other than that I cant think of anything in a basic set up you would really use one for.

With that being said they do come in handy at times around the house for removing excess material, cutting or grinding on small projects. I wouldnt tackle a single tier stand build with one or polish a keggle with one lol.

Just remember if you buy one that you are working with a "high speed" cutting/grinding tool and to go slow cause you can remove to much material quick. A strong slow steady hand is best with all hand held high speed cutting/grinding tools. Drilling steel is a different post all together.

I would not rent something like a dremil, they are cheap enough and have enough uses that you could quickly pay for one 5x over if you rented one for several different projects. Dremil has some good advertising though cause they will make you think you will be using it on a daily basis when in reality you wont.

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #63
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Dremel is for women and children arts and crafts. Get a 1/4 corded electric die grinder.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #64
patthebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyers View Post
Dremel is for women and children arts and crafts. Get a 1/4 corded electric die grinder.
I disagree, I have used a dremel for fine scroll work, Inlay, intracate detail work, and antique furniture resto work. Think of die grinders as broadswords, and dremel rotatary tools as a surgeons scalpel.

Also Not gonna make many friends here with the women and children comment. Quite a few women here on these boards and I'd say a few are MORE than capable of running a die grinder. Seems a bit sexist.

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

World Wide.

Like us on Facebook
iaefebs Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #65
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When it comes to cutting holes in stainless and alluminum or trimming holes i would never even waste my time with a dremel. Yes if your doing scroll work on wood i agree that's a good application for dremel. But once again that's arts and crafts. A 1/4 die grinder will do the job from cutting kegs open all the way to making a 1/4 steel burner cart. I haven't seen much scroll work on anyone keggles... Not saying it wouldn't be sweet.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #66
patthebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I haven't seen much scroll work on anyone keggles... Not saying it wouldn't be sweet.

Ya Know you just gave me an idea for a dremel project.....I wonder what a corny would look like with engraved flames and skulls. Hows that for arts and crafts buddy!

World Wide.

Like us on Facebook

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #67
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
When it comes to cutting holes in stainless and alluminum or trimming holes i would never even waste my time with a dremel. Yes if your doing scroll work on wood i agree that's a good application for dremel. But once again that's arts and crafts. A 1/4 die grinder will do the job from cutting kegs open all the way to making a 1/4 steel burner cart. I haven't seen much scroll work on anyone keggles... Not saying it wouldn't be sweet.
yeah but you would need a good air compressor to run that die grinder, and a good compressor that will keep up with a die grinder is not a cheap. I agree that the die grinder is a superior tool when it comes to cutting and grinding but not every one has the means to run one.

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007
patthebrewer Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #68
Sebas83
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like my cordless a lot. I live in an apartment and don't have a workshop space, so it's nice to be able to put it away. Plus, I can take it out to my car to do any polishing detail stuff, or take it to job sites to do other small work. Also great for dealing with tile. It makes good on a lot of the required work to make a nice small keg fridge (tiled, wood, etc).

Definitely struggles with heavy work. I chopped up a mini fridge to make a keg fridge and it blew through about 6-7 cut off wheels and took about 2 hours. Something an angle grinder could have done in about 10 minutes.

It's small, inexpensive, reasonably versatile, handles the work I need. I don't do any work that's too large and definitely fits into the arts & crafts field but can pull its weight when you need to do the rare heavy work.

But no, not used for much homebrew stuff.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #69
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefferd View Post
yeah but you would need a good air compressor to run that die grinder, and a good compressor that will keep up with a die grinder is not a cheap. I agree that the die grinder is a superior tool when it comes to cutting and grinding but not every one has the means to run one.
An electric die grinder, dremels big brother. I find air die grinders are great but become freezing cold for long cuts or prolonged grinding such as in porting cast iron auto manifolds. electric is where its at. I've had a Makita for almost 10 years now and use it regularly. And even more so than with dremel, always wear PPE eyes AND ears. And a full face shield is 2ndary

Old 01-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #70
brewinginnc
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Variable speed corded

Quick Reply