Dramatically improve your Stir Starter stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I am in no way bashing this product, I actually love the product, it just seems to be a tad lacking in the magnet department.

I do a lot of lagers and need big starters, which seems to be to much for this stir plate. I realize it wasn't designed for gallon starters, but it is capable of doing them. I simple got bigger rare earth magnets and stuck them over the old ones, no gluing, no fuss.

They are actually a little adjustable so you can get a nice smooth spin. Not only does it create more pull, but it gets the magnets closer to the lid. I couldn't get it to pull the stir bar to the center on 3.5 quarts of water. I used another magnet to center the stir bar then placed it on the plate, it would just dimple the top of the water.

The new magnets would pull a vortex halfway down the jar, a big improvment, to a very good product.

DSCN3279.jpg

DSCN3273.jpg

Nice, I didn't use those type of magnets but I have tried that style of jug and mine jug isn't flat on the bottom and my magnet won't "attach". I have a large flat bottom tempered glass thing (not sure what it's really called) works like a charm due to the flat bottom. It will pull the vortex all the way to the bottom and even throw the magnet if you go to high. I might have to take mine apart and see if I can get it to work with the jug like yours.
Great job.

What size magnet did you go with and where did you get them? I would like to do this to mine.

I don't really know how they size rare earth magnet's, but these are right at 1/2" across. I got them at a local hobby store, they should be easy to find.

_

I'm on my droid but I bought six super strong magnets from ace hardware. They are about 1/2" and it was cheap.

If you search for my name and magnet you will find my post.

-= Jason =-

Wildwest: just as a suggestion, if you want to improve the stirplate even more, cutting down the fan's blades should give you a little more power to spin the magnets. Maybe that way you can get the vortex all he way down to the bottom...

Wildwest: just as a suggestion, if you want to improve the stirplate even more, cutting down the fan's blades should give you a little more power to spin the magnets. Maybe that way you can get the vortex all he way down to the bottom...

I think it's more than adequate now. I don't believe you need a massive vortex, just a partial one.:mug:

_

I stacked two hard drive magnets and got the same effect. I can use a bigger stirbar, do a larger volume, and most importantly, it's quieter.

I'm really glad I found this thread... I didn't think there was enough room for more magnets but sure enough, I bought some 1/2 inch magnets at the hardware store and now I can actually get a vortex with my 2 L starter and I don't have to mess around trying to get the stirbar to stay in the middle.

Which brands of stir plates would you recommend? I've seen some unhappy comments about the Northern Brewer stir plate.

This looks interesting, any experience with them?

http://bellsbeershop.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=46_50_52&products_id=462

Based on comments on the forum, it seems like many people have had their flasks shatter.

What size stir bar is recommended? 1 inch? 2 inches?

Which brands of stir plates would you recommend? I've seen some unhappy comments about the Northern Brewer stir plate.

This looks interesting, any experience with them?

http://bellsbeershop.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=46_50_52&products_id=462

Why is a flask needed, as opposed to a half gallon glass jug? The jug bottom is too thick? Easie rto measure with the flask because of the mili-liter markings?

Based on comments on the forum, it seems like many people have had their flasks shatter.

I bought this one. http://www.stirstarters.com/ The box can hold a one gallon jug (just barely). A flask is not necessary, but some jugs have a convex bottom making it hard to balance a stir bar on it. People like to boil their starters in a flask, I don't. To easy to get lava scorched by boil overs for my liking.

_

I just tried adding the bigger magnets, but unfortunately mine now scrapes the top and doesn't turn with a flask on it. I've temporarily raised the lid up with washers on the screws, but need to find a cleaner fix. It really does stir better though.

I just tried adding the bigger magnets, but unfortunately mine now scrapes the top and doesn't turn with a flask on it. I've temporarily raised the lid up with washers on the screws, but need to find a cleaner fix. It really does stir better though.

Mine did that too, it's in a small cardboard box. I just added longer screws, the screws support the top of the box. and thus the flask. Works fine.

I'm going to use one of these magnets on mine. They're so strong they'll give you a blood blister if you get pinched! Now, wheres the best place to get a stir bar?

AdamCanFly said:
I'm going to use one of these magnets on mine. They're so strong they'll give you a blood blister if you get pinched! Now, wheres the best place to get a stir bar?

I found my stir bar at the university in my city, they have a "science stores", which is basically a warehouse for their chemicals and lab ware, they won't just sell the chemicals, but the labware they sell to anyone. My 1-1/2" lab grade teflon stir bar was $1.72CAD

Nice mod Wildwest.

I actually just orderred the Stir Starter a couple days ago as my DIY unit has a failing fan and I didn't have the time to tinker with it right now. So now I know I can improve it as well.

Thanx!

DSCN3279.jpg

Stir plate question: In the style in this picture, does it matter whether same or different poles are facing up on the magnets?

DSCN3279.jpg

Stir plate question: In the style in this picture, does it matter whether same or different poles are facing up on the magnets?

You want to alternate their orientation so that one has north up and one has south up. That way the north end of your stir bar hooks up well with the south on your stir plate. Likewise, the south end of your stir bar will hook up with the north on your plate.

I just so happen to have (2) HUGE 3/4"x1/4" round Neo magnets! I bought a 5000ml flask today... looks like all I need left to do is make a trip to radio shack and the cigar shop!
I also need to source a stir bar... any suggestion as to what size I should get?

I did this mod too and now I'm having the same issue others have reported. Stirplate sounds louder now - because the magnets are scraping the inside of the top cover. The motor runs for a bit and then stops. Can anyone share pics/notes about how they raised the cover? Thanks!

I didn't but the fix was pretty easy. I took a thin (1/4") piece of plywood and traced the outside profile of the stir plate on it. I cut that out and then cut out a smaller rectangle inside this piece of plywood. Then you mark the screw holes from the stir plate cover on the plywood. Then put the plywood between the cover and the stir plate body and screw it together. Not the best looking solution (I suppose you could paint the plywood to match the stir plate cover if you want) but it works. Raises the cover just enough to allow the magnets to spin without touching the cover when you have the weight of the starter on top.

Hope that helped.

Back