Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Dogface Brewing Co. Keezer Build...Lots of Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
DogFace_Brewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Dogface Brewing Co. Keezer Build...Lots of Pics

Well I am already of sick of doing bottles, so I am starting my keezer build

I am starting off slow but wanted to document my little project for myself, so no place better then here!!

I bought a 5 CF GE Chest Freezer from Sams Club for $168 shipped to start. It gets dropped off on Thursday (3/17/2011) and I can't wait!!! After that purchase I went over to Midwest Supplies website and picked up their Brew Logic Dual Tap Kit which will arrive on Tuesday(3/15/2011) I went with Ball Lock Kegs after ready up on the 2 different styles on HBT. I also picked up a Analog Thermostat control to regulate the temp from Midwest. I based this purchase on budget and also the great reviews it got. Most likely when I have more money I will put in a digital display, but that is not in the budget just yet.

Since I wont get my orders for a couple days I start messing around on Google Sketch Up and came up with the design I am shooting for.
There are 2 keezers in the picture, but I am only building one....the 2 show with casters on and also with side door open to get a all around idea of the final product. I DID DECIDE to put a trim around the bottom to cover the casters and put interior hinges on them so you cant see them but you will be able to lift the trim up to get access to the locks on the casters...pretty nifty :O)

I am still debating on doing frosted glass in the front with some rope lighting from under, but I have not 100% convinced I want that yet, so that will have to come later.

I am also debating on making the side door a chilled area or not buy just extending the casing and top and insulating the interior and putting a small foam door wrapped in wood to cover it.....still working on it. I love having the idea of the side door to keep red wine bottles, and some beer bottles while they warm condition so I think keeping it rom temp will be best. Plus it is a great area for beer glasses as I hate chilled glasses.

03/13/2011 Progress
Got aroudn to building the collar for the keezer today so I can get a extra keg on the hump in the future. Went with pine, since I wont see this part anyways since it will be covered with a "sleeze" wrapping the whole keezer after it is finished.

Since I done have clamps, I decided to get a little help holding the boards straight from doubled sided tape that is used for insulating also...worked out great!!

Installing the brackets

Then did some foam insulation...first time using it and I got a little crazy but I can trim off all the extra once it's dry

Found out after readin the can that once you start using foam insulation, you have to use it all...welll not to waste it I insulated all the boards which I will sand down and make smooth so I can wrap in water resistant wrapping

And that's it for now. The foam is drying and I and excited to move on to the next step!! Time for a home brew and to relax with the SWMBO who made this keezer build possible by getting a job that pays ALOT more then she used to make WOOOHOOOO!!! More updates to come!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Gordzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Like it, I plan on making a keezer here soon too, once i get a job that pays more that unemployment. I have an old chest freezer that has a temp control that goes up to a temp of 35degrees ice cold beer. If my measurements are correct i should be able to store up to 7corny kegs. I want to have three taps on it. Im gonna build a nice wood frame around it with a marble top. Lets just hope i get a job soon so i can start buying the stuff i need.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
DogFace_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordzilla View Post
Like it, I plan on making a keezer here soon too, once i get a job that pays more that unemployment. I have an old chest freezer that has a temp control that goes up to a temp of 35degrees ice cold beer. If my measurements are correct i should be able to store up to 7corny kegs. I want to have three taps on it. Im gonna build a nice wood frame around it with a marble top. Lets just hope i get a job soon so i can start buying the stuff i need.
I would say get another thermostat when you do it...since not all beer taste great at 35 degrees. I like having the option of raising the temp a bit to 45-50 so I can enjoy the flavors more of my stouts...but to each his own right :O) Good luck on your build!!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
LarMoeCur
Recipes 

I think it would have been way easier to just buy 1" Foam board. It's 10 bucks a sheet and cuts all to easy. You could have lined your boards with it and saved a whole lot of troubles. Not much more cost than your can of spray foam. Just my $.02

Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like that horizontal piece with your brewery name engraved on it. What are you planning on using for it?

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Im_Lars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree on the 1" Foam board, but it looks like you are on your way to a great built. Keep us up-dated with the pictures.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Jota21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The horizontal piece with your brewery name on it does look great, however, you're building the collar so that you can have 3 kegs inside, but you're tower is only going to allow you to pour 2 at a time.

I can see the benefit of having the space for carbing a 3rd keg, but why not add a 3rd tap to that middle section that has your name on it? OR make the whole tower more of a T shape, so that the horizontal part has the brewery name and the vertical part can be wide enough to house 3 taps.

This is all getting pretty petty since 99% of us would kill to ahve what you have sketched up, but it's just my $.02

Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like a fun build!

Suggestion/comment: you'll want to find a way to extend the taps out a little bit more from the body of the tower, or else all of you drips will be pretty close to the base. Some people build a small overhang in (and run lights underneath). I chose to take advantage of the longer shanks that I had purchased and put a couple of rosette moldings (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Moulding-Millwork-Moulding/h_d1/N-5yc1vZara1Z1z14084/R-202081922/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053) and drilled a hold for the shank. It allowed me to not have to use the crappy black plastic shank guard that comes with the shanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
DogFace_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarMoeCur View Post
I think it would have been way easier to just buy 1" Foam board. It's 10 bucks a sheet and cuts all to easy. You could have lined your boards with it and saved a whole lot of troubles. Not much more cost than your can of spray foam. Just my $.02
No you are correct...just wanted to use the can since once you use it you have to use all of it...plus it gives me something else to do while i am waiting on the freezer to be dropped off. It was pretty easy to smooth out thought...just a knife and some sand paper.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
DogFace_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
I like that horizontal piece with your brewery name engraved on it. What are you planning on using for it?
I went shopping around today for that...thinking of going with stainless steel and getting it custom laser cut....then blackening it. Still pricing out the cutting part before I made my mind up 100%

Quick Reply