The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Do you know a bit about Electricity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
the75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Do you know a bit about Electricity?

I don't & I think I bought the wrong temperature controller...
I bought this:
"Control Products TC-9102D-LV Dual Stage Low Voltage Digital Temperature Controller"

Here is the ad: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Produc.../dp/B0057APQPC

I planned on using this to control my chest freezer & a small heater for dual stage control, but I didn't notice there were low voltage & high voltage models. My mistake, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone knows whether or not this will still work before I return it. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
twallin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Your freezer is pretty low voltage, this controller will work fine for you.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Another thread:

homebrewtalk -Control Products TC-9102D-LV Dual Stage Digital Temperature Controller

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 4

According to the data sheet, the low voltage version requires a 12-24 AC power source to operate it.

It will work, you will just need to add a transformer to step down the 120 volts ac to 24 volts ac.

The hv model works is powered directly from 120 volts AC and would be the cleaner design.

http://www.controlproductsonline.com...042420054A.pdf

How hard can it be?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
the75
Recipes 

That thread doesn't answer my question, but thanks for posting.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by processhead View Post
According to the data sheet, the low voltage version requires a 12-24 AC power source to operate it.

It will work, you will just need to add a transformer to step down the 120 volts ac to 24 volts ac.

The hv model works is powered directly from 120 volts AC and would be the cleaner design.

This is exactly what I needed to know. I should have gone hv, but glad to know I can still make it work. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
adamreef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twallin View Post
Your freezer is pretty low voltage, this controller will work fine for you.
This is scary wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by processhead View Post

I'm not sure this is accurate either. If the LV version works like the HV version, you can only switch the input voltage. My guess is that the LV version is designed to work as a signal to a device that has it's own relays (kind of like your furnace thermostat).

In any case, you definitely want to return what you bought and get the high voltage version. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run, and will require some electrical know-how.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician, but I am a pretty accomplished electrical DIY'er and have wired two of these controllers recently. If you aren't comfortable with wiring this, get help from someone who is.

Adam

Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamreef View Post
This is scary wrong.

I'm not sure this is accurate either. If the LV version works like the HV version, you can only switch the input voltage. My guess is that the LV version is designed to work as a signal to a device that has it's own relays (kind of like your furnace thermostat).

In any case, you definitely want to return what you bought and get the high voltage version. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run, and will require some electrical know-how.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician, but I am a pretty accomplished electrical DIY'er and have wired two of these controllers recently. If you aren't comfortable with wiring this, get help from someone who is.

Adam
See specifications section of data sheet link. http://www.controlproductsonline.com...042420054A.pdf

Both versions have relay contacts that are compatible with the load of a freezer. The relay contacts will be wired to switch 120 volts AC to your freezer and heater

The only real difference between the LV and HV models is the supply voltage required for the controller.

The HV version will be a cleaner build since it won't require an extra stepdown transformer, but the LV version will work fine.

How hard can it be?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
reynolds5520
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamreef View Post
I'm not sure this is accurate either. If the LV version works like the HV version, you can only switch the input voltage.
The description says it has two 20 amp relays. If that is accurate, then you just need a furnace style transformer for the 24 VAC power source.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
the75
Recipes 

Ok, so it looks like this is all coming down to power source. I will not be able to plug this straight into an outlet. I will need to get a transformer between my wall outlet & this controller. Correct? I bought this one for $18 compared to $60, so if I can spend a few more dollars & make it work, I'd like to save the cash. I really appreciate all of you chiming in here to help me out.

Quick Reply