Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Do i need a potentiometer on my stir plate?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
JayWeezie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 241
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Do i need a potentiometer on my stir plate?

I finally got my stir plate to function correctly!
My fan has 3 speeds and I get a good vortex in 500ml of water which is what I make my starters at.
I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a potentiometer are?

__________________
JayWeezie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,761
Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Congratulations! I love it when a plan comes together! I end up cranking mine to 11 anyway =] Sometimes it helps to get it started on a lower speed to get the flask centered then crank it up but if it ain't broke...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
"I cant handle that buddy.. it tastes like Moose Piss", (IPA) - side note.. ive never had moose piss, but im sure it doesnt taste like IPA or I would have a moose.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
TANSTAAFB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
thargrav
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 821
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWeezie View Post
I finally got my stir plate to function correctly!
My fan has 3 speeds and I get a good vortex in 500ml of water which is what I make my starters at.
I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a potentiometer are?
If you are happy with your 3 speed selection you don't need one.
__________________
thargrav is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
raouliii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ponchatoula, LA
Posts: 758
Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default

500ml sounds like a very small starter. I doubt you'll get much growth in each step.

From Mrmalty.com Fourteen Essential Questions about Yeast Starters:

"Q: I've heard that too small or too large a starter can be bad for the yeast. How is that possible?

Parker says putting a fresh vial of yeast into 500 ml of wort and letting such a small starter go to completion can actually leave the yeast less ready to ferment a batch of beer. The yeast do not rebuild their reserves and have very little increase in cell mass.

The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass."

__________________
On Tap:
NippleRub Ultra
Ranger(ish) IPA clone
Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Nada

Next Up:
Big Breasted Blonde
raouliii is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,761
Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
500ml sounds like a very small starter. I doubt you'll get much growth in each step.

From Mrmalty.com Fourteen Essential Questions about Yeast Starters:

"Q: I've heard that too small or too large a starter can be bad for the yeast. How is that possible?

Parker says putting a fresh vial of yeast into 500 ml of wort and letting such a small starter go to completion can actually leave the yeast less ready to ferment a batch of beer. The yeast do not rebuild their reserves and have very little increase in cell mass.

The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass."
I agree. Invest in the 2L flask and make 1500 ml starters...or go bigger so you are already ready for those big beers!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
"I cant handle that buddy.. it tastes like Moose Piss", (IPA) - side note.. ive never had moose piss, but im sure it doesnt taste like IPA or I would have a moose.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
TANSTAAFB is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
stonebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: rockville, md
Posts: 847
Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Post some pix of your stir plate.

I have 8 speed selections on mine. The lowest speed barely turns the fan, the last speed makes it into a blender. I generally start it at low, so it doesn't throw the stir bar, then click it up to around 4 and get a great vortex. Any higher is too loud and doesn't seem to give any advantage. Yeast don't like to be dizzy ;>

I originally bought a 1L flask but moved to a 2L. Wish I had started there and saved a few bucks.

__________________
stonebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time stir plate user, how aggressive should i stir? wncbrewer Fermentation & Yeast 3 01-14-2012 01:35 AM
DIY Stir Plate Potentiometer Specs TravelingBrewer22 DIY Projects 4 12-12-2011 10:55 PM
Stir plate effectiveness concern-maybe too small of a stir bar? crlova2 Fermentation & Yeast 20 03-15-2011 06:06 PM
Stir Plate Potentiometer Question.No go. Anubis DIY Projects 3 11-15-2010 06:43 PM
Homebrew Stir Plate Potentiometer Issues: Assistance Appreciated! mew Equipment/Sanitation 16 04-06-2010 03:55 PM