Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Do i need a potentiometer on my stir plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
JayWeezie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Do i need a potentiometer on my stir plate?

I finally got my stir plate to function correctly!
My fan has 3 speeds and I get a good vortex in 500ml of water which is what I make my starters at.
I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a potentiometer are?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Congratulations! I love it when a plan comes together! I end up cranking mine to 11 anyway =] Sometimes it helps to get it started on a lower speed to get the flask centered then crank it up but if it ain't broke...

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWeezie View Post
I finally got my stir plate to function correctly!
My fan has 3 speeds and I get a good vortex in 500ml of water which is what I make my starters at.
I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a potentiometer are?
If you are happy with your 3 speed selection you don't need one.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 85

500ml sounds like a very small starter. I doubt you'll get much growth in each step.

From Mrmalty.com Fourteen Essential Questions about Yeast Starters:

"Q: I've heard that too small or too large a starter can be bad for the yeast. How is that possible?

Parker says putting a fresh vial of yeast into 500 ml of wort and letting such a small starter go to completion can actually leave the yeast less ready to ferment a batch of beer. The yeast do not rebuild their reserves and have very little increase in cell mass.

The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass."

Horizocade Amber
Rochefort 7

In the Chamber:
Nada

Next Up:
Big Breasted Blonde

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
500ml sounds like a very small starter. I doubt you'll get much growth in each step.

From Mrmalty.com Fourteen Essential Questions about Yeast Starters:

"Q: I've heard that too small or too large a starter can be bad for the yeast. How is that possible?

Parker says putting a fresh vial of yeast into 500 ml of wort and letting such a small starter go to completion can actually leave the yeast less ready to ferment a batch of beer. The yeast do not rebuild their reserves and have very little increase in cell mass.

The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass."
I agree. Invest in the 2L flask and make 1500 ml starters...or go bigger so you are already ready for those big beers!
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Post some pix of your stir plate.

I have 8 speed selections on mine. The lowest speed barely turns the fan, the last speed makes it into a blender. I generally start it at low, so it doesn't throw the stir bar, then click it up to around 4 and get a great vortex. Any higher is too loud and doesn't seem to give any advantage. Yeast don't like to be dizzy ;>

I originally bought a 1L flask but moved to a 2L. Wish I had started there and saved a few bucks.

Quick Reply