Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Windshield for KAB6 Bayou Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default DIY Windshield for KAB6 Bayou Burner

I just made a windshield for my KAB6 Bayou Burner out of two duct adapters from Home Depot (see pictures below). The purpose is to both protect from the wind (the existing windshield is far to short) and to direct the heat to the bottom of the keggle rather than around the edges. I think that the same modification could be done with a KAB4 (not sure). Also, looking at the finished project, it is possible you could cut the bottom out of a small metal bucket, cut it to open it, cut to an appropriate height and use it for a shield. In any case, this is what I did.

The project requires:
Two 8" to 10" metal duct adaptors (Ductite)
Sheet metal screws or small bolts (short 3/8" for connecting pieces of sheet metal and 1/2 or longer for connecting sheet metal to existing windshield).
Metal sheers, pliers, screw drivers (wrenches), drill, pointed object for piercing sheet metal.

Briefly (see pictures below):
1. Cut open the duct adapters along the weld line with metal shears and spread gently to open to diameter of the existing shield around the burner.
2. Put one in place with an end at the edge of the shield where the shank of the burner enters. I then measured the remaining length to complete the circle leaving a gap for the shank of the burner and leaving an inch for overlap with the other piece. In retrospect, the second piece could have been cut to leave room for the shank and connect to the first piece at both ends but I made a piece to span the gap out of scrap.
3. Remove both pieces and crimp the top edge and the ends of the two pieces that will abut the shank. This takes 10 min with a pliers but makes the metal pieces much more user friendly.
4. Put the pieces back in place and get aligned in their approximate position. I should have screwed the two pieces together at the top position of the joint before doing any further cutting because I made a few minor errors.
5. Mark each support bar 5" from the end as a guide for the approximate position of the top edge of the new shield. This will give a diameter of 15".
6. With the pieces in place and screwed together, position the shield tightly against existing shield around bottom with the top edge meeting the support bars at the marks you made in step 5. Now make a 1/2 inch cut in the top edge of the shield on either side of each support bar and bend the tab down to leave a gap for the support bar. This creates four points where the bars sit in the windshield and stabilizes the structure. It also makes a closer approach to the keggle.
6. Slip the shield up making sure it is tightly wrapped around the existing shield at the bottom and with the support bars in the gaps you just created.
7. Mark and drill a holes in the sheet metal pieces at the bottom of the abutting ends of the two pieces of a new shield. Also drill the existing shield at the position where those two pieces abut. The holes should be the appropriate size for the sheet metal screws or bolts you have purchased. Attach the two ends to each other and the existing shield.
8. Mark and drill holes at each end of the bottom of the shield and through the existing shield at the appropriate position. Use to attach both ends of your newly created shield to the existing shield.
9. If you left a gap, create a short strip of metal from scrap long enough to span the gap. Crimp the edges and then screw in place to provide both structural stability and to complete the ring. If you cut the metal to span, connect ends with a screw or bolt.
10. Enjoy your new windscreen.

burner-mod-back.jpg   burner-mod-front.jpg   burner-mod-side.jpg   burner-mod-top.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you used it yet?

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z
Have you used it yet?
Fair question. Not yet but last time I did the same thing with HD aluminum foil and it was great. Just not very durable.

Concerns?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I literally had that idea at Home Depot a few weeks ago! Let me know how it works please!

I was concerned about melting the thing... but then I figured the worse case scenario was some cool looking melted metal

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
freeokw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looks good. Let us know how it works.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Will do. I don't think it is going to melt. Burn, blacken, warp, smell....maybe. I'll get back to you. If it melts, I'll pull the thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
ONOIML8
Recipes 

My question is if it will get enough air to breathe this way. Well, not just enough, how will this effect your fuel economy. Do let us know.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Maybe I will just fire it up and boil a keggle full over the weekend, just as a test, before doing a full brew. I do know that I wrapped foil around the bottom of my keggle down to that existing windscreen last time I brewed and it worked great. There was a small opening in the back a little bigger than the one that is there.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You could always try what I did if yours melts. It's been a few years, and I've changed nothing. Still working great.

KAB6 Mod

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. - Steven Wright

Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The mod was inspired by two things. Need for more wind shielding and the need to direct the heat more directly to the bottom of my keggle. I had both of those problems. I found the wort was boiling in my exit spigot because so much heat was coming around the edges of my keggle. Lets see how it works.

Quick Reply