DIY weldless valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I am really close to putting in weldless valves on my kegs for my single tier build. My camlocks should be here within a week so I need to start shopping. Is there a diy weldless valve setup that uses parts from Lowes like the cooler conversion? The expense of building this thing is adding up fast so if I can save some money by building these vs. buying everything from a brewstore it would be a help alot. I searched and didn't find anything, maybe it's not possible?

Yes you can buy most of the parts locally. Some the of the tricky parts are the stainless steel washers with a big enough inner diameter to shim out the nipple.
The other part that is hard to source in weldless kits is the 1/2" NPS locknut.

You can look at our assembly pages to see how it goes together if you like.

Here is the picture install sheet on our site:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14

Most of the time the local supply will limit you to using some portion of brass, copper and BUNA gaskets. If that bothers you, you'll want to source SS and silicone parts online.

Bargainfittings brings up the point about the locknut being difficult to source locally and it's an important part of this traditional bulkhead design. It provides the broad flat surface for the gasket to seal against and also stops liquid at the threads with teflon tape/thread sealant. There are a lot of other attempts to remove this component (soldering washers directly onto the nipple for example) but most other methods are flawed.

I don't need stainless for everything at this point. I'm just trying to get it finished so I can start using it. There are so many things to buy when you build one of these, I got the pump and hose yesterday and I'm waiting on the camlocks. I still need sightglasses, thermometers, valves and fittings, false bottom and who knows what else. I had an idea what this would cost before hand but it seems like all the nickel and dime stuff kills the budget.

Yes you can buy most of the parts locally. Some the of the tricky parts are the stainless steel washers with a big enough inner diameter to shim out the nipple.
The other part that is hard to source in weldless kits is the 1/2" NPS locknut.

You can look at our assembly pages to see how it goes together if you like.

Here is the picture install sheet on our site:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=14

Thanks for the link I'm just about ready to start on my keggles so I'll be placing a order soon

I've been building stuff, and have purchased several weldless kits from Bargain Fittings. I think the price is great, and I've never had issues with leaks.
The kits include all the parts you will need..No cobbling..

Just my 2 cents but if you have any thoughts on going stainless in the near future, order the parts now and save cash in the long run. (take it from someone who was anxious to get everything up and running and bought brass at HD only to later buy stainless elsewhere:drunk:). I think if you want to save a little, brass valves are acceptable, but nipples, washers, barbs, anything in long contact with hot wort, etc are nice to have in stainless. Also, bargain fittings have very low prices and I would recommend them for sure.

I would order stainless online. I was just at HomeDepot yesterday and they were charging $5 for a 1/2" brass tee. I could get a stainless tee online from McMurray's for around $2.50. Also, I have ordered more than my share from bargainfittings and have no complaints. They have good prices on quality products and shipping is very reasonable.

+1 on bargain fittings... i have ordered from them 3 times and have been very pleased. Excellent.

IMO opinion if you are going to do it do it right.. get the stainless steel. it is more expensive but there is a reason why food companies dont use brass.

I didn't realize how cheap the bulkheads were from bargain fittings, I just ordered 4 sets with valves and I got 4 street elbows for my camlocks. Thanks for thanks for the help.

Back