Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #401
Butchv12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
It always costs more to do it right the first time. It's always worth it when you get to laugh at the other guys in the end. More $ up front means less money in the end. Good on you for doing it right the first time.
Just wanted to add a comment to this quote:

We live about 2 hours south of Dallas and 3 hours north of Houston. We built our 1900 sq ft house here which was completed April - 2011. We elected early on in the planning to build an Energy Star rated home no matter what the expense was. To have our house sprayed-foamed was an extra 9 thousand and the garage ( which was decided before the foam rig showed up ) was 11 hundred. In the 2 plus years here we have never seen an electric bill over 141.00 and that was for July/August 2011, which every day was hotter than 95 degrees and most in the lower 100's. Our neighbors (most) will not discuss electric bills with us anymore, which most see 300.00 - 375.00 for the June/July/August months. Our electric co-op has replaced our meter twice because they do not understand what an Energy Star home saves. If you are wondering - our house stays at 75 degrees unless it's cooler outside then we open the windows. If you have never been in a spray foamed house, just imagine living in a ice chest - when you walk into our attic it's just as cold as the house. There is no insulation above the ceiling sheet-rock ( attic floor ) and no attic or soffit vents. Do you have any idea how happy our central A/C unit is sitting in a 75 degree attic?

Sorry for the long post ---- but please ---- if you can afford any extra insulation on any project, DO IT!
dsc_1097.jpg  

ButchV12 = A&P Mechanic / Home-brewer 20 some years

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #402
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

That's a beautiful house!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #403
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Comment removed: Read insulation cost incorrectly.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com

Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #404
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Insulation is not cheap. But it is worth it. It's the classic case of you get what you pay for.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider
Newsman Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #405
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

amazing build. I just spend the last hour catching up from the first post. Holy smokes!

I'm still saving up for my first house... But I already know what upgrades I'm saving up for next!

Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #406
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

That is looking really good. As I was looking at the last photo, I started wondering about the A/C and your HOA. I know you had to do a little dancing for the HOA earlier in the build. I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about the A/C. Did you have to hide it or disguise the outside?

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #407
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

No the HOA guy thought it was already part of the house and didn't care. They commended me for building the shed so much like the existing structure. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed so to say.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #408
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
No the HOA guy thought it was already part of the house and didn't care. They commended me for building the shed so much like the existing structure. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed so to say.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #409
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

So I didn't get anything done last night I was out drinking with friends. I had some errands to run and ended up meeting up with a group of people, which led to the consumption of a few pints and some entertaining conversation. We had a big thunderstorm roll through (it is still monsoon season) so a few pints seemed like the better choice.

I got the diamond plate all sorted out so if it is not raining tonight after work, I'll try to hang the door and turn on the AC.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #410
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

So I've got the diamond plate installed. It's a touch short on the top, but not enough to complain about. Worst case, I have a bit extra and can machine off a section to put on the top when I get back from vacation:

It's wicked shiny if you're in the right position so I think it will do a good job of not heating up the bulk of the door when the door is in the direct morning sun.

Solar Steve suggested installing some insulation into the lock bodies:

Got the new probe installed from Ron at Store It Cold. Talk about wicked customer service! That guy is a rock star!

No door yet so it's not getting below 70 in there. I'm waiting for Ghettogyle Greg to help me lift the door into place. He's a freaking slacker lately.

So a couple hours later and the door is up:

Schitty pic but I ran out of light. I'll take a better pic in the morning. We still need to address a few little details around the door and grease the hinge pins (squeaking badly) but that can wait til after vacation.

Scottish and his lovely girlfriend popped by so they helped me wash the keg rack and put it in the cooler:

I'm leaving the cooler on overnight and I will report back on how low a temp it gets. I'm a bit worried as it's about to rain in a big way (thunderstorm coming in now) so it's not the best day to do a temperature test but it was at 45 F after putting the keg rack in there and the door had only been closed for about 15 minutes.

Quick Reply