New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Temp Controller for Freezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alright, I have been scoping out the Johnson Controls Tem controllers on Ebay and am a bit confused on which model will work for freezer purposes.

The one I am looking at specifically is the A19ABA-40C. The guy said that this one can't be used for what I want to use it for because it is an DPST and not an DPDT. What the heck does that mean? Also, the temp adjustment is done with a screwdriver instead of the knob......big deal.

DPST= Dual Pole Single Throw
DPDT= Dual Pole Dual Throw

Now that I know that why do I need one over the other?

Last edited by CollinsBrew; 05-04-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsBrew
I found this last night while looking through some other posts. He says something at the bottom of the page about not being able to hook up 120 Vac because it will blow the capacitor.

Would the relay he is talking about work for the power plug to the freezer and if it did would it be cost prohibitive? Also, is there any way to tell the temperature differential to keep the unit from clicking on and off constantly?
He said if you need to switch anything higher than 24V you need to use an external relay. Basically the temp controller triggers the relay coil and that will close the connection to your 120VAC connection, turning on your freezer.

His second-to-last picture looks like it might diagram that kind of setup. I can't enlarge it because work blocks photobucket though.

So you'd need a SPST relay tied into the hot line going to the freezer with the temp controller triggering the coil that throws the switch. (or DPST if you want to break both the hot and neutral lines to the freezer to be extra careful). And the external temp probe he makes earlier up in the article.

The way it's outlined in that link is very doable, but you must be careful because you're dealing with 120VAC and IT WILL KILL YOU IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL.

Up next:
Guiness Clone, ???

Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That I know....I've had had my fair share of 120Vac experiences. I do repairs on audio equipment (power amps and such) and learned real quick what points should and should not be touched.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

See here for a decent explanation of SPST, DPST, and DPDT.

DPST will work for your application and is a bit of overkill for a 120VAC circuit, assuming it has the load capacity to support your freezer. You REALLY don't need a DPDT controller.

At the risk of sounding harsh (I've been doing that a lot lately, I think), if you need to ask these sorts of questions, you probably shouldn't be wiring anything that you plan on plugging into the wall without the (hands on) help of someone a bit more knowledgeable.

EDIT:
The part number you gave appears to be an SPST controller - which is what I would prefer if I were wiring a controller up to a freezer.

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 05-04-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's not harsh...I can follow directions however and have some experience working with electronics. I'm more a hands on person so not being able to see it in front of me doesn't help. Not only that but the .pdf files I have been looking at on Johnson Controls website in reguards to these haven't shown me much in the way of wiring. Maybe someone has found something that explains it a little better. I was more so confused with all of the different model numbers of the A19 series....AAA, ABA, ABC --49C 24C blah blah blah.

Plus....I'm trying to learn.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I know you're trying to learn, and we're here to help...I just don't want anyone to get hurt or start any fires. It makes me feel a little better that you mention some experience with house current.

This page should help a bit with the A19 series controllers. Note, none of them are double pole designs, so whoever told you about the controller either gave you the wrong part number or the wrong info. Almost all of them will work for your application except the SPST-open high design and the ones outside your operating temperature range. If you use a SPDT controller, you'll have to determine which side of the switch is open in a low temperature condition in order to wire it properly (look at the diagram at the top of the page I referenced...it's the Y-terminal).

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 05-04-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #17
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Just tossing something out here. I got a Ranco ETC single stage (111000 model) for $53.10 and that included shipping off ebay. Company is Thermal Resources and that's their everyday price. In case you ended up being close to that price with the Johnson Control flavors, this group would probably recommend the Ranco over the JC. Only thing left to have is an extension cord to splice in. And there is help here on wiring.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:36 AM   #18
D2T
Brew Monkey

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Just tossing something out here. I got a Ranco ETC single stage (111000 model) for $53.10 and that included shipping off ebay. Company is Thermal Resources and that's their everyday price. In case you ended up being close to that price with the Johnson Control flavors, this group would probably recommend the Ranco over the JC. Only thing left to have is an extension cord to splice in. And there is help here on wiring.
Yeah, I spent a few bucks more from the place I linked earlier.

The main reasons I was willing to buy a ready-made instead of doing it myself:

- I prefer not work with mains power if I can help it
- My DIY setup wouldn't look as nice. If I spent the $ on a project box/etc. it'd probably end up costing more than the Ranco
- I had already dropped so much loot on my kegerator that $20 was just a drop in the bucket

And I always warn people regarding 120VAC in any forum/conversation I have regardless of how educated I think they are. Doesn't hurt to re-state an important fact! No disrespect intended.

Up next:
Guiness Clone, ???

Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #19
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After all of that searching it looks like my best bet is to buy the Ranco ETC 111000from Thermal Resources off of Ebay. I went ahead and about my extension cord today and will order the Ranco tomorrow. Until I start lagering I'll now have a full size upright freezer to keep all of my beer cold.......now if I could convine SWMBO that I *need another refrigerator kegging.

Quick Reply