Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #51
statman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferris View Post
Sorry for the bump, but I am working out my temperature controller right now, and it is quite similar to your build. You say that the SSR does not require a heat sink for this application. Just wondering if you've noticed how hot it actually gets? I am doing a dual stage controller, so I will have two SSRs in the enclosure, obviously not both running at the same time.

Trying to figure out if I might want to wire a fan into the enclosure itself, or possibly just vent it. Just paranoid about anything that can run in an unattended state.
hmmm, not sure what you are monitoring. Mine was a beer meister using a freezer. I can tell you that in my case, it was nuts on. I used a 4 degree range of 33 to 37, set point 35. (I like it cold) -and it never drifted outside of those parameters and tended to display set point temp most of the time-otherwise somewhere between 34 and 36. Make sure your probe connections are tight on the control. (apparently mine wasn't tight enough when I received/installed it-froze my beer. One other froze episode-make sure no one forgets to re-insert probes if you are leaving them hanging on the wall without anchoring. In short, no problem other than human error. (I didn't vent or fan the box.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #52
jmferris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
hmmm, not sure what you are monitoring.
Specifically looking as to the temperature swings on the SSR itself. Due to it switching AC, my concern is actually that the junction box, itself, might become too hot as opposed to the contents of the fermentation chamber it will eventually be installed on.

The comments about leaving it unattended are related to not wanting to head out for the weekend and come back to a melted down junction box from excess heat build-up, or worse.

Coming off of a year long brewing hiatus.

Fermenting: Empty
Conditioning: Empty
Consuming: Water
On Deck: TBD

Brewing Blog: http://microbrewology.snaploop.com | Follow Me on Twitter @josephmferris

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #53
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post

Nice project. Just one tip for the future when wiring stuff like outlets. Wrap the wire in the direction you are tightening the screw. This will pull the wire into and around the screw and apposed to try and twist itself out when you are tightening the screw down over the wire. AKA, bring the wire looped from the left to the right instead of right to left like in the picture above.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #54
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Nice project. Just one tip for the future when wiring stuff like outlets. Wrap the wire in the direction you are tightening the screw. This will pull the wire into and around the screw and apposed to try and twist itself out when you are tightening the screw down over the wire. AKA, bring the wire looped from the left to the right instead of right to left like in the picture above.
yes! thanks for mentioning this... i actually ended up putting a terminal adapter thingy on the end of this wire because i didn't like the way that looked.. but good advice on wiring it in the tightening direction.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #55
android
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmferris View Post
Specifically looking as to the temperature swings on the SSR itself. Due to it switching AC, my concern is actually that the junction box, itself, might become too hot as opposed to the contents of the fermentation chamber it will eventually be installed on.

The comments about leaving it unattended are related to not wanting to head out for the weekend and come back to a melted down junction box from excess heat build-up, or worse.
i really wouldn't be concerned about it, but it's totally up to you if you want to put a vent/fan of some sort in there. mine has run fairly continuously for the last 6 months off and on and even when it's been controlling a heater for a week straight, when I go to move it, it only feels like ambient temperature. the plate that covers the junction box has a little opening on one side, so that sort of acts as a vent I guess... but it's never felt hot or even warm to the touch and like I said, I use this fairly often.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #56
jmferris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
i really wouldn't be concerned about it, but it's totally up to you if you want to put a vent/fan of some sort in there. mine has run fairly continuously for the last 6 months off and on and even when it's been controlling a heater for a week straight, when I go to move it, it only feels like ambient temperature. the plate that covers the junction box has a little opening on one side, so that sort of acts as a vent I guess... but it's never felt hot or even warm to the touch and like I said, I use this fairly often.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I though that was what you were implying. I don't imagine that we are drawing enough current with this application to be a concern. I like the idea of a small air gap on the edge of the enclouse, as venting is just going to invite dust and I would need to create pressure from the inside (i.e. a fan) to help keep the dust out.

I guess the best way to find out will be when I put it together, after the SSRs make their way from the Orient.

Coming off of a year long brewing hiatus.

Fermenting: Empty
Conditioning: Empty
Consuming: Water
On Deck: TBD

Brewing Blog: http://microbrewology.snaploop.com | Follow Me on Twitter @josephmferris

Old 03-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #57
android
Recipes 

plus, it's not like they'll both be running at the same time. if anything, with the dual controlling, it should spread the running between then SSRs and i bet it'll all be good.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #58
Augie62
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Can someone please send me the complete instructions?

Augie

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #59
android
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie62 View Post
Can someone please send me the complete instructions?

Augie
?? the instructions are outlined in this thread and you will have to follow a link or two on the first page for the original instructions and wiring diagram. updated photos are on page 3 with the finished product IIRC.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #60
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

please tell me if i'm in the right direction. sorry about the ****ty windows paint drawing

temp_control.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Quick Reply