DIY stir plate super easy!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67coupe390

Reaction score
Heres my stir plate project with part numbers. Its Super easy!!!!
All parts from Radio Shack.

Project box 270-1806
12vdc fan 273-243b
Rheostat 271-265
Knob 274-424
Power supply 273-1716
Adatpa plug "m" 273-1716(free with power supply)
dc power jack (for box plug in) 274-1563
Two rare earth magnets I got from an old hard drive but you could buy them from radio shack too.
And last is a rocker or some type of switch.
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3814&c=1&userid=6446
I hope this helps anyone who just wants to make an easy stir plate. The parts from radio shack are a little pricey so if your extra frugal you can shop around.

Nice job! I made one earlier this year using plans and info from our own HBT, the great Yuri and MrSaLTy. I noticed that you don't have a circuit board with heat sink and the like. Seems you found a way to bypass all that (unecessary ?) soldering and wiring. I still have problems with my rheostat heating up. Just wondering if you have had that problem. If not, is it because you're using a higher wattage rheostat? Just curious.

By the way, your malt mill looks very good. Kinda like mine! What efficiencies are you getting with it, and are those rollers hollow? Still, it looks very good from the pics. Again nice job

the_Roqk said:
Nice job! I made one earlier this year using plans and info from our own HBT, the great Yuri and MrSaLTy. I noticed that you don't have a circuit board with heat sink and the like. Seems you found a way to bypass all that (unnecessary ?) soldering and wiring. I still have problems with my rheostat heating up. Just wondering if you have had that problem. If not, is it because you're using a higher wattage rheostat? Just curious.

By the way, your malt mill looks very good. Kinda like mine! What efficiencies are you getting with it, and are those rollers hollow? Still, it looks very good from the pics. Again nice job
I think the board is necessary for the style that Yuri and MrSaLTy made. For mine the rheostat is a 3 watt 25 ohm and the fan I chose has a power rating of 1.92W max and a 6v power supply running a 12v fan. I'm thinking this is a good cushion and none of it will burn up. So far so good! I don't have much of a background in electronics so I decided to go with a simple set up and see if it works. Now I know it works I'm just wondering if the motor will last a while. (little fan big magnet)
The rollers on my mill are solid alum. with SS 1/2 shafts pinned. I made ss rollers first and I couldn't knurl them enough so they ether crushed the grain too much or didn't crush at all. Now with the new alum. rollers it crushes good. I'm not sure how to measure Eff. yet but I never add dme and my beer tastes good. I think I'll have to buy some software or something to get my Eff. right? Thanks for the complements on the mill. It sure was fun to make!
Thats quite the nice mill you made too!!!

Click free.

6446-100_2538.JPG

Ryanh1801 said:
First off looks great. If you don't mind me asking how much was all the parts?
$55.00 from Radio shack. Plus a switch.(I had one laying around) But you can get the equivalent parts for cheap else where if you look hard enough. American science and surplus maybe.

Thanks Orfy! Could you tell me how to do that?

67coupe390 said:
Thanks Orfy! Could you tell me how to do that?

If you're in Quick Reply mode (at the bottom of each thread), you have to add the IMG tags around the URL. For example:
Code:
[img]<URL goes here>[/img]
If you go to Advanced Mode (such as quoting another member by clicking on Quote in their post), there's a button in the toolbar that looks like a picture and has the text "Insert Image" when you mouse-over it for a bit. When you click that, it will bring up a message box window asking you for the URL to the image, and then it inserts the IMG tags around the URL automatically for you. Hope that helps.

Thalon said:
If you're in Quick Reply mode (at the bottom of each thread), you have to add the IMG tags around the URL. For example:
Code:
[img]<URL goes here>[/img]
If you go to Advanced Mode (such as quoting another member by clicking on Quote in their post), there's a button in the toolbar that looks like a picture and has the text "Insert Image" when you mouse-over it for a bit. When you click that, it will bring up a message box window asking you for the URL to the image, and then it inserts the IMG tags around the URL automatically for you. Hope that helps.
I see the insert image but when I cut and copy to script prompt it still is a hyper link like this
showimage.php
I must not be getting the URL right?

Yeah it will look like script in the message editing window. It will only show up as an image when you preview the message or actually submit it. There's also a button for insert URL, maybe that's the button you're using. Make sure the tag it adds to the URL is IMG not URL.

Try Mouser.com for electronic parts. Their website is huge, so it takes a little patience, but they probably have everything for less than RS.

Nice project. I feel silly that we got ours off of eBay, but probably cheaper than building one.

OK, so why do you call it "hands on" Honeyweiss?

doublegun said:
Try Mouser.com for electronic parts. Their website is huge, so it takes a little patience, but they probably have everything for less than RS.

Nice project. I feel silly that we got ours off of eBay, but probably cheaper than building one.

OK, so why do you call it "hands on" Honeyweiss?
I never used home grown hops before and didn't know that they would clog the heck out of everything. So I just threw them in the boil just like I do sometimes with hop pellets ( no hop bag )but when it was time to transfer to the carboys the homegrown hops clogged everything. After about 10 mins everyone at the brew party had there hands in it tring to clear the the clog. I thought for sure that it was going to be my first bad batch. I just bottled it and it tastes good so I am really lucky!
6446-100_2522_thumb.jpg

I lean toward the technically inept side... any step by step directions for this type of project?

I think your finished one looks great, and would like to do something similar at some point.

jbraas said:
I lean toward the technically inept side... any step by step directions for this type of project?

I think your finished one looks great, and would like to do something similar at some point.
I like KISS. ( Keep It Simple Stupid) let me know how I can help.

Back