DIY Small HDPE keg - tap problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mChavez

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been recently trying to make a diy keg. The keg has got to be small as I don't have much space in the fridge, so I got myself one of these 6L containers:
http://www.curtec.com/en/products/drums/wide-neck-drums/detail/wide-neck-drums-6-litres

Installed a standard motorcycle valve
and a barrel tap like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Pla...relWater-Butt-Tap-BeerHome-Brew-/281131135243

For some reason the tap keeps leaking!
I've managed to get it tight enough to hold about 2-3 PSI of pressure but if I increase the pressure, the tap starts letting the air out.

I've left the rubber seal on the outside (as per instructions but doesn't make much sense to me!).

Are there any tricks to make the tap work or any better taps?

Thanks!

I'd suggest getting a 2nd ruberized washer for the inside. And if you plan on never taking it appart, food grade silicone could be an option. the down side is that if you need to really clean it, you will have to clean off all the silicone before reinstalling. (ie sanatizing could be a real problem)

in the US (I notice you using ebay uk) they sell 5 liter mini kegs made out of metal, perhaps one of those?

where did you get the idea that any of the parts you have listed are rated for holding any kind of pressure. I am actually very glad that you have a leak at anything above 2-3 psi if not it would have exploded. this is crazy dangerous. if you continue down this path please use parts that are pressure rated or you will hurt yourself and or others

ACBrewer - yes, I want to keep the whole thing simple so its easy to sanitise.

Ajm163 - I know of people who used regular plastic jerry cans to condition beer. I'll be really surprised if a UN-approved hazmat container won't take the same pressure, but want to test it in a controlled environment anyway. Once the beer is in, I can just do regular checks with a pressure gauge to make sure it doesn't explode.

What sort of pressure should I expect from 3 volumes of CO2?

The taps are supposedly, good for pressure barrels, but mine keep leaking. 2 washers might be an option, although if one washer leaks, I don't see why the second one won't.

The metal 5 litre kegs are not good. They are only reusable about 5 times from what I read about them and they are a pain to sanitise. The 6 L container is clearly better!

The taps are supposedly, good for pressure barrels, but mine keep leaking. 2 washers might be an option, although if one washer leaks, I don't see why the second one won't.

That was why I was specifying on the inside. As it is now, the washer is held on place by the screw threads. If it were inside, the then beer preasure would hold it in. Does that make sense? As it is now, beer is pushing it away, on the inside it would push it in the direction it wants to go.

3 volumes of CO2 is similar to but not identical to 3 atm of preasure - or iirc, +28lb (1 atm=about 14lb). It gets a little fuzzy because there is some non linearness about it. But without research, 28 to 30 psi is a good bet.

The pressure to achieve 3 volumes of CO2 depends entirely on your temperature. At 40 degrees F, you're in the neighborhood of 18 PSI.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

I'll second ajm163's comment that this is a terrible idea. Pressurized plastic is actually much more dangerous than pressurized metal, and an exploding plastic keg killed a brewery worker last year. Don't use any component without a pressure rating, and then please install a pressure release valve that's significantly lower than that.

From the website you linked to:

4. Are your drums air tight?
CurTec drums with screw lid and integrated gasket provide an air tight closure. Airtight means air cannot enter the drum from the outside through the closure.

Airtight does not mean air cannot escape the container. The closure has not been designed to withstand any pressure so air will escape the container when outside pressure drops or pressure is built up inside the container. Please contact CurTec for guidance.

Not a good idea IMO, there are already many options for small pressure rated vessels for any price range:
2 and 3 liter soda bottles
5 liter mini keg
Tapadraft or party pig
1.75 gallon new ball lock kegs

Latest posts

Back