Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Sanke Valve Removal Tool suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
variverrat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY Sanke Valve Removal Tool suggestions

Looking for suggestions on making a tool with similar functionality as this:

https://morebeer.com/view_product/7543

I've watched the videos and have successfully removed several spears but I have one that is very stubborn. The end of the o-ring is right between the 2 notches and there is no room to wedge a screwdriver to get it started. I'm told this keg has been sitting in the open in someones backyard for a couple years and looking at it's condition, I can believe it. I think if I can push down the whole valve assembly I would have better luck.

I'm planning to use them as a fermenter eventually so making a tool similar to the above for assembly and disassembly would save a lot of work. Most of my ideas for a tool are close to Rube Goldberg and standing in Home Depot hasn't helped with generating ideas.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Having fooled w/ sankes for a few years now, perhaps I can help. First I would try sharpening the small screwdriver to almost a knife edge so it can get a bite on the spiral ring.

If that doesn't work, what I have done to simulate the compression tool, is to use a large socket (wrench)...not sure maybe 1" - 1 1/4" that fits inside the top of the spear. Now take a piece of scrap wood...say 1X2 and tie wire that to the handle of the keg so it can be a lever to push down on the socket that will push the spear down to free the ring.

All you need is something that goes inside the spear...i use a socket, but you could use a piece of wood etc, and a way to force it down...i use a long piece of wood attached to the rim of the keg as a lever.

hard to put into words but actually very simple.

good luck...the first few times can be an adventure...but once you gaun a technique...easy peasy.

Oh I also have a sheet metal hook type tool that almost resembles the sanke knife...but only sometimes use it.

first try a sharpened screwdiver and a couple gentle taps w/ a hammer to see if you can get behind the spiral ring to pry it free...if not than try compressing the spear.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 08-24-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
variverrat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The wood lever is a great suggestion, I was trying something like that but I think I need a deeper socket to make it work, right now the wood is in the way if I try to lever it down.

Also thinking about using some j-hooks I can drill through both ends of wood and attach through the handles, that way I can use wing nuts on the j-hooks to torque down the socket. It only looks like it can drop about 1/8" anyhow.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First things first....

You DO NOT NEED that tool. Lay the keg on it's side, press a large screw driver into the ball/gasket joint. this lets the gas and stale beer escape without giving you a shower. once it is de-pressurized, use an ice pick or similar tool to slide the retaining ring out of it's gap. once out the valve assembly will either pull straight out or turn a 1/4 turn then up and turn again then out.

YOU DO NOT NEED IT!!!!!!!!!

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
variverrat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I understand I don't need that tool normally. As stated in my original post, I have disassembled kegs before but have a stubborn one that requires compressing the entire valve assembly so I can extract the o-rings, that is what that tool does.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is just glued on there by old beer. Stand it upright, pour some VERY hot water on the top of the valve. let it soak for a bit. Then try it. Don't need a tool. I have one like that, amazing the holding power of old stale beer. Like Krazey Glue.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

small carbide drill bit .Drill threw the ring at the end. You now have a place to use a pick or awl to start the ring out . I just use a small putty knife once the ring is started and just slide my way around the valve the retainer spring come right out.Almost like shucking a clam

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not sure if something like this from Harbor Freight would work, but it has potential.

3 way edging clamp

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
variverrat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn it, and I was just down at Harbor Freight this morning, that plus a 1 1/4" socket will be perfect.

I did eventually get the stuck one out, just took 3 broken flat heads to get the o-ring out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post if I make it work.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by variverrat View Post
Damn it, and I was just down at Harbor Freight this morning, that plus a 1 1/4" socket will be perfect.

I did eventually get the stuck one out, just took 3 broken flat heads to get the o-ring out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post if I make it work.
I'd really like to see that post! I use a lot of 19L Sanke kegs and I think being able to apply some pressure to the top of the spear would be even more helpful while re-inserting the ring that it would be while taking it out!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

jszostak2 Likes This 

Quick Reply