The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Rotating Sparge Arm??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default DIY Rotating Sparge Arm??

Anyone ever built one? I'm going crazy trying to find a swivel fitting that will allow for the arm to rotate.

Am I overthinking this or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
xxdcmast
Recipes 

What about pumping the wort through a cheap lawn sprinkler?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdcmast View Post
What about pumping the wort through a cheap Nazi lawn sprinkler?

Fixed that for you... and invoked Godwin's law.
Northbanu Likes This 
Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You might be over thinking it as most swivel fittings are designed to hold pressure and you dont really care if it drips a little.
I've played around with a rotating sparge arm made of copper pipe with a very loose sealing connection of one copper pipe inside another and its more that adequate. The issue I had was my lack of a pump, gravity feed is inadequate to make the thing rotate even with a very loose fitting.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
You might be over thinking it as most swivel fittings are designed to hold pressure and you dont really care if it drips a little.
I've played around with a rotating sparge arm made of copper pipe with a very loose sealing connection of one copper pipe inside another and its more that adequate. The issue I had was my lack of a pump, gravity feed is inadequate to make the thing rotate even with a very loose fitting.
Not sure I know what you mean about a loose sealing connection.

I will be under slight pressure as I'm using March 809's for my system. I pump water in to sparge and then recirc that same water for a bit before transfer into the boil kettle.

The cheap sprinkler is an idea... more in the sense of i could cannabalize the thing and use that fitting.... just extend the four arms out straight so that fit my pot.

that might work.

Quote:

Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

by loose I just meant it wont hold pressure, my design used a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe sealing/rotating inside a 1/2 to 1/2 copper coupling.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The rotating arms are more trouble than they are worth IMO. You can make a cpvc manifold like this one for about $6 and twenty minutes of your time. I felt that I was losing too much heat sprinkling the hot water down through the air and over the grain bed. The new cpvc manifold is vertically adjustable allowing you to operate it partially or fully submerged. Less heat loss. When the end elbows are rotated slightly, the sparge water swirls gently over the gain bed. This manifold can be used for recirculation when mashing, as a sparge arm and as a return manifold when doing the whirlpool chill maneuver. I have a rotating sparge arm for sale. Make me an offer!

The pic shows it running just plain water, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Catt22; 05-01-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

it's an option... i'm not totally sold on anything at this point. i just need to get someTHING set up. as of right now, i just take a freakin' tin serving tray, pop a ton of holes in it and let it sit on top of my grain bed. i have a HERMS system and circ my MT continuously so the wort comes through the lid on my MT, hits the pan and is dispursed. it's the ONE freakin' piece on my rig i haven't built yet.

I'm not too worried about losing heat since it is all contained. The sparge arm would be just under the lid of my MT and the lines are insulated so... again... not too worried about losing heat.

an offer? I'll.... give... you... FOUR, BRAND NEW... CRISP... One dollar bills. ehhh?? nice huh?

Quote:

Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
it's an option... i'm not totally sold on anything at this point. i just need to get someTHING set up. as of right now, i just take a freakin' tin serving tray, pop a ton of holes in it and let it sit on top of my grain bed. i have a HERMS system and circ my MT continuously so the wort comes through the lid on my MT, hits the pan and is dispursed. it's the ONE freakin' piece on my rig i haven't built yet.

I'm not too worried about losing heat since it is all contained. The sparge arm would be just under the lid of my MT and the lines are insulated so... again... not too worried about losing heat.

an offer? I'll.... give... you... FOUR, BRAND NEW... CRISP... One dollar bills. ehhh?? nice huh?
OK, it's a deal! The shipping & handling is an additional $8.00, so send me a check for $12.00 and it's done! Wrinkled old bill would also be acceptable.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
geordiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sparging tray

Funny what you say about a tin serving tray with at ton of holes! I needed something quick and dirty so did exactly that - it's not gonna last much longer but I've got 5 good brews out of it....

Really useful for a rectangular mash tun where a sparging arm cant reach all of the grain.

Using the Brew your own British Real Ale book - every recipe, so far as been by the book on OGs and FGs
Brew Your Own British Real Ale (Camra): Graham Wheeler: Amazon.co.uk: Books

img_3086.jpg  

Quick Reply