Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Randall/HopBack Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
SkinnyPete
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default DIY Randall/HopBack Idea

So, I've been keeping saltwater fish for close to 20 years now. Ever since the first time I saw the Blichmann HopRocket, I was thinking I could make something similar. In the fish hobby, there are products called "Media Reactors". They are usually plastic and PVC enclosures. Water flows into the top, down a tube and output at the bottom of the enclosure, it is pushed up through a screen (and sometimes foam which I would remove) and filtered through media (carbon, phosphate remover, etc), then through another screen and out a fitting at the top. It withstands pump pressures up to 30 gallons per hour and is obviously air tight. Seems to me, this could work as a Randall if it simply sat between the keg and the tap. I'm sure the barb fitting would have to be adapted, but I think it may work. I wouldn't trust it with hot wort, but in a keg system, it could do the trick. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper than $125. Here's a link to the product

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_GFO_Phosban_Reactor_Phosphate_R eactors-Two_Little_Fishies-TL4311-FIFRISPR-vi.html

Can anyone think of an obvious reason why I may be barking up the wrong tree? If not, I may give this a shot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
RisenDeadBrewing
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

First thought I have would be that PVC is not food safe, and if you have an acidic oil (hops) in there, it could cause issues

Golden Isles Brew Supply - $7.99 Flat Rate Shipping!

https://www.goldenislesbrewsupply.com

Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
SkinnyPete
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbite87 View Post
First thought I have would be that PVC is not food safe, and if you have an acidic oil (hops) in there, it could cause issues
Seems like a fair concern. I figured if you weren't heating it, PVC would be okay, but hadn't thought of the acidic oils.

Quick Reply