Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Diy loc line ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Wheelspin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Diy loc line ???

I've seen guys using Loc Line for their sparge arms and think it's a great idea.

However, getting hold of Loc Line in my neck of the woods is a real pain and/or real expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas for making their own adjustable sparge arm that works like Loc Line.

I've tried zip tying coat hanger wire onto some silicone tubing with disappointing results.

Any other ideas out there ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

You could try this stuff which is sold as "flexible coolant pipe", and has threads compatible with 1/2" NPT. Less than $5.

http://amzn.to/YacFx3

Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
alowell
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

cool idea

Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have to pose a question... Is Lock-line or Flexible coolant line really that great of a deal? From guys that have used it for extended times they say it doesn't last more than a year of brewing. Most of these are not intended for food contact. That being the case, what will be leaching out of the plastic as you mash. Most of these lock lines are rated only to about 150*F. Much less than the 168*F mash out temps that many brewers hold. If these are degrading to the point of failure in just a YEAR, and most brewers only brew once or twice a month at most... That tells me that these things degrade pretty quickly which would also mean they are leaching a massive amount of crap into your hot wort!
If I could make a suggestion, why not go with a silicone tube wrapped around the top of the grainbed and recirulate/sparge with that? Silicone is food safe.

Retracted...

Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
I have to pose a question... Is Lock-line or Flexible coolant line really that great of a deal? From guys that have used it for extended times they say it doesn't last more than a year of brewing. Most of these are not intended for food contact. That being the case, what will be leaching out of the plastic as you mash. Most of these lock lines are rated only to about 150*F. Much less than the 168*F mash out temps that many brewers hold. If these are degrading to the point of failure in just a YEAR, and most brewers only brew once or twice a month at most... That tells me that these things degrade pretty quickly which would also mean they are leaching a massive amount of crap into your hot wort!
If I could make a suggestion, why not go with a silicone tube wrapped around the top of the grainbed and recirulate/sparge with that? Silicone is food safe.
I've been using the same white loc-line for about 3 years with no signs of degradation. Loc-line most certainly is food safe.

Qouted from Loc-line website:

Q: Is Loc-Line safe for food contact?
A: The material used to manufacture Loc-Line is an acetal copolymer. This material, in accordance to the rules 21 CFR 177.2470, meets the requirements of this regulation for aqueous food contact. Not applicable for fatty foods and alcohol. All colorants are used at the recommended let-down ratio and meet 21 CFR 178-3297 for food contact.

Temperature Specifications:
Melting Point: 329°F
Maximum Operating Temperature: 170°F

Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

^^^^
I stand corrected.
Maybe the guys I were talking to used a substitute to Lock-Line™.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
alien
Recipes 

They may have been using "acid resistant" Loc Line made of polyester which has a max temp of 150°F.

http://www.loc-line.com/_doc/Specifications.pdf

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
They may have been using "acid resistant" Loc Line made of polyester which has a max temp of 150°F.

http://www.loc-line.com/_doc/Specifications.pdf
Theirs were blue and orange as shown. That may not mean much, but I think you may be on to something...

Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
I've seen guys using Loc Line for their sparge arms and think it's a great idea.

However, getting hold of Loc Line in my neck of the woods is a real pain and/or real expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas for making their own adjustable sparge arm that works like Loc Line.

I've tried zip tying coat hanger wire onto some silicone tubing with disappointing results.

Any other ideas out there ?
Pick up Bobby's Loc-Line sparge arm kit from BrewHardware, a couple of different configurations at a fair price.

http://brewhardware.com/accessories/114-mashtube

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Catcher in the Rye Pale Ale
On Tap #2: Vanilla Porter
On Deck: Thinking....

indianajns Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
alien
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Theirs were blue and orange as shown. That may not mean much, but I think you may be on to something...
Any idea if they were real Loc Line? The knock offs might be a different material.

The acid resistant stuff is yellow.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Quick Reply