Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Is DIY kegerator/keezer more cost effective or just fun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
wilmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I originally rebuilt my kegerator with a new Perlick faucet, regulator, new hoses and fittings only reusing the fridge/tower/CO2 tank from the old setup....then I came across a 20 cu ft freezer for $40 on Craigslist less than a month later and jumped on it..

It was dirty, but in decent shape.

I'm under $300 total (freezer, collar, paint, caulk, screws, 3 corneys, all fittings, hoses, CO2 splitters, clamps, regulator, and picnic taps) running 3 beer's on tap at the moment with plenty of space for storage of cold water, soda, bottled beer and room for additional taps.

My old kegerator is now a fermentation chamber.

Still need to buy a shank for the Perlick and a couple other faucets, but due to my 16 month old son pulling on everything, I may just deal with the picnic taps for a while so he doesn't empty a keg all over the floor.

My keezer obviously doesn't look like some of the keezers featured here, but it's not bad looking and functional at a minimal cost. No complaints here, but I could see myself building a new one in the future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
BigLuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Like others have already said, it really depends on what your priorities are. I was originally going to buy a used BevAir or True 50" so that I could have at least 5 beers on tap. After searching CL and other sources I had a hard time finding what I wanted. While browsing these DIY forums and being inspired by what others have done, I decided to build my own, and I have to say that I couldn't be happier. I purchased everything new and now have a beautiful keezer that I can put into any room of the house. In fact, it is probably the nicest piece of funiture that I own. Overall it cost me around $1500 including a couple kegs, and in my opinion worth every penny. It has 5 perlick 525s and can hold 4 cornies, a full half barrel comercial keg and a 20# Co2.

I realize that I could have done this a lot cheaper, but after taking advice from several others in HBT, I decided to not skimp on anything and spare no expense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply