New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Interwoven "Rib-Cage" Immersion Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #71
michaelm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I had thought of the idea first because I would build'em and sell'em

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #72
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Using warm Florida tap water (72 deg F), it took about 12 minutes to get 4.5 gallons of water to 105 degrees, after which it's almost like hitting a brick wall - 25 minutes to 90 degrees.

I bet that I'll be able to get down to pitching temperature within half an hour if I combine the chiller with an ice bath and intermittent whirlpooling, which would beat my previous method by about 20 minutes. So I am quite happy.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #73
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Hey Danny, coil that real long input hose in the sink next to the pot and have ice in that sink so you cool the input water before it hits the chiller. (I assume you have a 2 basin/side by side sink like I do)

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #74
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just made my ribcage chiller!

Got 45' of copper off craigslist for $25, just need to grab some hi-temp tubing and I'll be set. So these are supposed to chill faster than the single-coil chillers? Why is that?

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #75
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Because you have more contact area vs the single coil. Think of it this way, if you have a single stack of coils in effect you have 1 verticlal column or a single cylinder of chilling mass, the copper. With this, you have basically 2 vertical cylinders, and more even distribution throughout the pot/kettle of cooling rails, or coils, because they are relatively evenly spaced. i.e. one on the outer wall of the pot, one nearer the center, another nearer the center and another at the opposite wall of the pot. Basically its all about copper to wort coverage.

Make sense?

Primary #1- Biermuncher's Challenger Blonde (LHBS out of Centennial WTF!) 3/15
Primary #2 - American Pale Ale 2/21
Primary #3 - Magic Hat #9 clone 2/28
Primary #4 - 20 Otter Victory 3/5

Trying to accumulate more Budweiser American Ale bottles than Revvy... 1 six pack at a time.

My DIY Immersion Chiller <------ Click Me :)

Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #76
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Totally, I get the increased contact area... I'm just curious about the increasingly hot water running through the coils... by the time the water gets to the second coil, will it be cool enough to chill the wort? Will it be hot enough to heat up the cooler water from the first coil as it passes it? There's a lot I don't know about physics.

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #77
dutch101st
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am actually thinking of makeing one of these to be a pre-chiller; place in an ice bucket to bring the water temp down lower than 72 degrees here in my apartment.

Kegged: AIR
Primary: AIR
Secondary:
Secondary:

On Tap: NADA
Bottled: Store baught swill

Atomic Robot Brewing- Beware the Robot Uprising!!

http://robotarmageddon.com/wp-conten...t-Uprising.jpg

Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #78
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Well, my initial test had the chiller bringing the wort from boiling to 160 in 3 minutes... I don't know that there is much in the way of worrying about how hot the water is passing through the coils after the first few minutes. THe water is heated up on its way through the first coil, and then as its racing up the second, there should be a small temperature differential in the wort. Either way, my initial test cooled from boiling to pitching in 9 minutes with only 20' of 3/8 tubing with the incoming water charge at 42*F.

Could there be a better design that goes a little faster? Sure, but when I can make 2 coils instead of one, in 15 minutes, Its not really worth it to make a better and more time consuming coil setup.

:shrug:

Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #79
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch101st View Post
I am actually thinking of makeing one of these to be a pre-chiller; place in an ice bucket to bring the water temp down lower than 72 degrees here in my apartment.
Instead of a pre-chiller, invest in a pump and pump ice water directly through the IC.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM   #80
ballegre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm bumping this thread because I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with a keggle. I have purchased all the materials to build a single column IC for a keggle (I just made) but after seeing this rib-cage IC I've put the breaks on.

If you use the 2 paint cans method I think rib-cage IC going to be too wide to fit in the keggle. This would imply smaller diameter columns. I'd like to know if others have already tried??

Thanks.

Quick Reply