Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Idea/Theory - Counter Flow Double IMMERSION Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #31
Philip1993
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6
My roommate theorized something about heating/cooling water causes some sort of current in the pot. Not sure why, but he figured the cold wort would somehow move away from the coil and draw the warmer wort in for some reason. Again, I dunno, it was a crazy (drunk) theory.
Convective currents would be established, causing the cooler fluid to tend downward. But, that effect is very small compared to the reduction in thermal movement caused by the boundary layer of cooler wort near the pipe.

What that means is that (as said before), you maximize efficiency by keeping the wort in constant circulation around the coils.

Now, if you want to get super geeky, starting the cool water into the coil at the top, and removing the hotter fluid at the bottom, will yield a tiny bit of improvement. But only if you aren't stirring the wort....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #32
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefleck
You'd be amazed how fast water convects heat. Yes, in theory the wort closer to the coil will be cooler but only very, very slightly.
Actually it's in theory and in practice. Test it for yourself like this; Leave an IC in an undisturbed pot of wort and run it for 1 minute. Test the temp of the IC output water or even just feel it yourself. Now, have someone stir the wort while you're measuring the output water. You get a HUGE jump in temp. Temperature stratification is pretty common. Ever swim in a lake?
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #33
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I've played around with the wort chiller, stirring and not, leaving the flow constant. I've got a probe thermometer that stays in the wort, so I'm always getting a current reading. When gently stirring, I can see a stready, pretty rapid decline (it chills to pitching temp in about ten, maybe twelve minutes). When I stop stirring, it stops cooling - the rate of temperature decline is less than half what it was previously, probably significantly less than half.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #34
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefleck
You'd be amazed how fast water convects heat. Yes, in theory the wort closer to the coil will be cooler but only very, very slightly.
Actually, the wort closer to the coil will be significantly cooler. As noted in the posts above, the cooling is so significant that further cooling will stop unless something occurs that disturbs that gradient.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #35
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

/subscribed

I'm back!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I made a dual-coil immersion chiller, as I found the thin fridge tubing dirt-cheap at the Depot (when they couldn't tell me how much it was, they sold it for less than half price).
i went to lowes to get my own, but found 3/8" x 25' roll at $60. how come you can buy a completely made chiller for less than that?
bill keiser

Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #37
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick
i went to lowes to get my own, but found 3/8" x 25' roll at $60. how come you can buy a completely made chiller for less than that?
bill keiser
Ouch -- I got mine for $20 CDN. I also got 100' of 5/8 copper tubing for $90. Maybe Canada needs to export some copper!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #38
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

hook it up, send it south

if you ship it to the states, put on the customs form "bong materials" that should get some laughs, hehe

I'm back!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #39
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick
bill keiser
Home Depot - at least in my city - overcharges something horrific. I went to a more-local franchise (Menards if anyone has one) and their copper prices are HALF of HD's

I need to drive south to check the Lowe's they just opened.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply