Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Hopstopper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If this doesn't work out, I've got a SS scrubbie or 2 to try out. I kept my old dip tube so all I have to do is swap them out. My main worry is the turkey fryer rack that I used.....it may eventually rust because I think it's some kind of low grade SS. If it does, I guess I can take it out and leave the tube as-is, just like in a real hopstopper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a self priming pump for my CFC and so I didn't drill my kettle. I just have the tubing on a piece of copper tube that I hang over the side of the kettle to draw the wort. I'm trying to think of a solution that works more like a french press coffee maker. The perfect thing would be to have that steel mesh in the shape of a big bucket (or brew kettle). If it were just like 2" smaller diameter than my kettle I could just push the mesh bucket into the kettle trapping all the hop solids under/outside it. Right now I'm brainstorming with taking a bucket, cutting a bunch of windows in it, and then putting it inside of a big mesh paint strainer bag. Anyone have a better idea?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Some people have been discussing using a stock pot basket (some kettles even come with them) and lining the inside with mesh. You'd put your hops inside, because you want your hops in contact with as much wort as possible during the boil. When the boil is over, you should be able to lift the basket out and just drain the kettle to the chiller. Alternatively, you put your IC in the basket, chill, then lift the whole thing out. There should be so much surface area and if the mesh isn't too fine, you ought to be able to strain it quickly.

I really think this method would have to work....it's just really expensive buying the basket and lots of mesh. I don't think you'd ever need another method, though.

I guess the cheaper route would be to throw your hops right in, chill with an IC, and drain to a good size sanitized SS strainer.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've read of some people that just put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag over the immersion chiller (I believe after flameout) and then would siphon/pump wort from inside the chiller coils.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
thereefgeek
Recipes 

I tried this a couple years ago using the stainless screen from two colanders and crimping the seams as well. It wasn't a very fine weave, and it did yield a bit of scorching on the bottom of the kettle, but it also kept the vast majority of the hops out of the fermenter. It ended up being too much of a PITA to clean after the boil and I really haven't used it much since.

Here it is before the boil:

...and after with about 4.5 ounces of pellet sitting on top:
(I had to go back through my recipe log to Jan. '07 to find quantity)

Quick Reply