Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY grain mill in the works...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #41
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

So is it really worth that much work to use pipe over solid bar stock? I guess if you had a lathe at your disposal and you are just REALLY wanting to build a mill out of "found" materials... Maybe then it would be worth the extra time and effort.
Me... Not the case. I am trying to keep machining time down to a minimum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #42
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The only advantage I can see using pipe over bar is in larger sizes where weight becomes a real concern. I need to look at roller design on commercially made mills with rollers above 4" diameter. I already have a mill and I don't have the access to tools to make rollers or side plates. I'm just curious.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
The only advantage I can see using pipe over bar is in larger sizes where weight becomes a real concern. I need to look at roller design on commercially made mills with rollers above 4" diameter. I already have a mill and I don't have the access to tools to make rollers or side plates. I'm just curious.
Good point... It would be much better if you were going to use 4" plus rollers to use thick walled pipe. However, I have heard of guys that have used pipe or conduit get the rollers all dinged up from that occasional REALLY hard grain or small stray rock.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #44
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
So is it really worth that much work to use pipe over solid bar stock? I guess if you had a lathe at your disposal and you are just REALLY wanting to build a mill out of "found" materials... Maybe then it would be worth the extra time and effort.
Me... Not the case. I am trying to keep machining time down to a minimum.
Yup. I have a lathe and my time is not as expensive as purchasing a mill. So far I am 30 bucks in on this project. But honestly if I had the money I would for sure get a 3 roller mill with hardened rollers and be done with it.
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #45
clintopher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb35 View Post
I've been thinking of doing something like this as well. Just have a lathe, though, no mill, so I might need to get creative with some of the machining. I'll be watching this one.
You don't need a milling machine...I just used the one at the shop to drill holes in the side plates and to steady the tap while I got it started. I also faced the ends of the side plates with an end mill but that's not absolutely necessary. Do you have a drill press with a vice?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #46
clintopher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
What about using round tube instead of solid bar? Something with a little thicker walls though. And does it need to be stainless? Something with a high Rc (or Brinell if you prefer) and if it's over 3" it wouldn't need to be knurled?
I was originally going to use 4" pipe. Plan was to weld plates on the ends, drill holes in the plates, weld an axle in place through the holes, and true the pipe up in the lathe. I never got around to it. Then the round stock and the knurling tool popped up at the shop and I jumped on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #47
danb35
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintopher View Post
You don't need a milling machine...I just used the one at the shop to drill holes in the side plates and to steady the tap while I got it started. I also faced the ends of the side plates with an end mill but that's not absolutely necessary. Do you have a drill press with a vice?
I do have a drill press and vise, and for that matter an X-Y vise I could mount on the drill press. I also just got a 4-jaw chuck for the lathe, which should help out--I'm figuring I could drill/bore more precisely that way than on the drill press. I'm more a woodworker than a machinist, though, so still getting the feel for the lathe (and using the drill press in metalworking).

Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
clintopher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb35 View Post
I do have a drill press and vise, and for that matter an X-Y vise I could mount on the drill press. I also just got a 4-jaw chuck for the lathe, which should help out--I'm figuring I could drill/bore more precisely that way than on the drill press. I'm more a woodworker than a machinist, though, so still getting the feel for the lathe (and using the drill press in metalworking).
Definitely mount the xy vice in your drill press. That'll make life with the plates a cake walk. On the lathe, go slow with the knurling tool. I'm definitely no expert but I set the machine up for 135 rpm and pumped a cooling lubricant on the stock as it was rotating. I don't know if that was necessary or not but most of the youtube videos of knurling showed using some sort of oil.

We have a four jaw in the shop too but it's not installed. I would rather have used it to offset the hole in the adjustment knobs more. Our 6 jaw has
.030" of adjustment and I would have like more but not enough to change the chucks out.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #49
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Wish I had a lathe! I have the drill press though. Still, looking forward to the final product!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #50
clintopher
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Almost finished. Just need to trim the plate the hopper sits on to final dimension and see if this thing actually works. Here's a pic of it looking into the hopper/rollers.

Quick Reply